News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smallbear on those tiny Lumberg DC jacks

Started by midwayfair, November 20, 2012, 05:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

QuoteHi Jon--

I agree that I should stock these, and thanks for suggesting. Can't do it immediately because I put so much money into getting this doen:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Enclosures%3AThe+Bare+Box+Platform+and+Accessories

I have put this DC Jacking list and will seek a clone that I can order directly from Taiwan for next year.

Regards

SD

Me on Smallbear's message:

QuoteYay!

Micpoc

Nice! He announced this a few months ago on DIYSB but I'd forgotten about it. According to their homepage, PedalParts+ has these as of October.

midwayfair

Quote from: Grigori on November 20, 2012, 06:05:31 AM
Nice! He announced this a few months ago on DIYSB but I'd forgotten about it. According to their homepage, PedalParts+ has these as of October.

You mean the bear box? I was talking about the Lumberg DC jacks, these things:

midwayfair

Just thought I'd add something here: I finally got more of these from Smallbear after ordering the ones from BLMS, so I was able to compare them and the known Lumbergs I had from Jameco all at the same time. I don't know if the Smallbear ones are real Lumbergs, but unlike the ones from BLMS, they are very well made. The plastic is not brittle and the center pin seems much more durable (I broke the center pin on one of the BLMS ones, the one that went into the Bearbender).

I highly recommend not skimping on these. 50c each is tempting, but I figure the DC jack is one of the last things you want to risk going bad.

jimilee

Yeah, the ones from BLMS the whole center pulled right out on one of mine. The good news is the sumbitch snapped back in.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Quote from: jimilee on December 07, 2013, 09:15:58 PM
The good news is the sumbitch snapped back in.

For now. I tried that. I came right out again.

jimilee

I was pretty fortunate. I need to bring it home from my rehearsal place so I can replace it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Quote from: midwayfair on December 07, 2013, 09:08:36 PM
Just thought I'd add something here: I finally got more of these from Smallbear after ordering the ones from BLMS, so I was able to compare them and the known Lumbergs I had from Jameco all at the same time. I don't know if the Smallbear ones are real Lumbergs, but unlike the ones from BLMS, they are very well made. The plastic is not brittle and the center pin seems much more durable (I broke the center pin on one of the BLMS ones, the one that went into the Bearbender).

I highly recommend not skimping on these. 50c each is tempting, but I figure the DC jack is one of the last things you want to risk going bad.

+1
I think I mentioned it before, but the pile I ordered from BLMS were Almost all unusable. Smallbear's are great. Also, Newark (element14) is a good place to snag genuine Lumbergs.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on December 07, 2013, 09:18:07 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on December 07, 2013, 09:08:36 PM

+1
I think I mentioned it before, but the pile I ordered from BLMS were Almost all unusable. Smallbear's are great. Also, Newark (element14) is a good place to snag genuine Lumbergs.

I've had really good luck with the Lumbergs from Newark.  I just snagged a few from Small Bear so I will see how those work.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

haveyouseenhim

I had a problem with about 25% of the BLMS dc jacks being way too tight. I never had one snap, but I wouldn't use them again. The good ones are good, but when the're bad I just toss em.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

Stomptown

I contacted Steve from Small Bear earlier in the year and they are NOT Lumberg's. Regardless, it is nice to hear that they are high quality (not too surprising considering their reputation). FYI, the Lumberg clones from bitches love my switches are really brittle and poorly constructed. Cheap, but not worth the risk IMO. Glad to hear the small bear ones are quality. Time to place an order!