News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Runoff Groove projects: Azabach (Jubal81's board) & 1590A charge-pumped Supreaux

Started by midwayfair, November 22, 2012, 07:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Couple of Runoff Groove projects, fresh off the clearcoating block.

Azabache:

The board came from Jubal81 -- he made himself 3, put up two in the emporium, and I snagged one before he decided that he liked it so much he was keeping the other board. Lucky me! This thing sounds out-frigging-standing, easily my favorite of the Runoff Groove amp sims, and I've breadboarded (or built) almost all of them now. There are a couple considerations, though. Although the distortion and EQ characteristics are pretty much spot on even with a single tone knob, the blond and tweed settings don't have the "feel" of the real things. There's no sag or anything (obviously that's not going to happen), but a compressor in front solves that "problem."

However, the Silverface mode is absolutely spot on. It feels and sounds EXACTLY like my friend's '76 Deluxe. It's uncanny. Currently that's my favorite mode.

The final diodes have a HUGE effect on the overall distortion sound. (The preceding diode pairs are much less noticeable.) Here I used OA126 (one of my favorite diodes) in a 2:1 asymmetric arrangement. I really thought the distortion was improved overall with this arrangement, and it cleaned up the sound a little bit (and gives unity volume at the lowest gain settings) due to the higher Fv.

The box is 18K Gold from Pedal Parts Plus.

Supreaux Deux -- in a 1590A WITH the charge pump on board:

I like this a little better than the Honey Bee (which seems the logical thing to compare it to) overall -- which is saying a lot because that's a really excellent sounding pedal. However, the S.D. has a lot more glass and sparkle on the highest settings, which is important to me, and its distortion characteristics don't change when the tone knob is changed. This makes the settings a lot more repeatable and intuitive, which I like. It has less distortion overall (even underbiased), but that's not much of an issue for me since I don't use a lot of distortion. This thing is LOUD too. Tons and tons of output.

That's the Superman shield, obviously. And his underwearouterwear. ;)

Yes, I'm aware it's spelled wrong. English major, not French. See, for reference, my Capucino [sic] Fuzz.

Here's the layout if anyone wants it (it's also in my downloadable layout library posted in the members projects area):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9878279/Jon%20Patton%27s%20layouts/Supreaux%20Deux%201590A.pdf

Sorry for the kind of boring graphics; amp sims just weren't bringing up any cute images for me, and I like to stick with the original Runoff Groove names out of respect for their requests on their site, in case I ever have to sell them for some reason.

raulduke

Nice builds dude.

Been meaning to try the Azabache and Giner (the Ampeg sim) for a while now.

Can't go wrong with a bit of ROG!

LaceSensor

nzCdog

Coolies.  8) Your style always looks cool Jon, and ya just keep churning them out!

pickdropper

Cool stuff, Jon.

I am really curious about the Supreaux.  I may take a shot at a PCB layout for that one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Wow. Amazing work again. I'm glad you dig the circuit. I think once more people try it it's going to get really popular.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

jtn191

nice! Have you played through many of the other "fender"-marketed circuits? (les lius, wampler 65 & 57 etc)
I've been looking at those for a while and am curious how it compares. If you've got time to do a demo of it, I always dig 'em  :)