News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Recommendation?

Started by thetrend77, November 27, 2012, 05:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrend77

Seeing Scruffie's post about fuzzes made me want to ask this question, but I didn't want to hijack his post. What would be a good fuzz for someone who's not a big fuzz fan? I built a Zombii, but I don't like the wild fuzz tones that one makes.

I know I like the Musket, but I'm not a big fan of a normal Muff circuit. I like something that has more mids than the scooped Muff sound. I also like the Mojo Hand Crosstown Fuzz, which is a germanium/silicon Fuzz Face hybrid.

Anyway, any recommendations would be great!

jkokura

The Lunar Fuzz is a super fuzz, it's about all I'm using right now (Dave/Pickdropper too). I also really like the Muff Fuzz, which can behave more like an overdrive as well.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

thetrend77

Watching your demo of the Lunar Fuzz atm lol

GermanCdn

Not a big fuzz fan either (keep saying that, but I keep building them...I don't pretend to make sense), but Jacob's Muff Fuzz is fantastic.  I've worked out a few mods for it too, making it both a fuzz and an overdrive.  And it's a ridiculously easy build.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GermanCdn

FWIW, the Hot Chilicon Fuzz from guitarpcb is actually pretty nice as well, and they're now fabbed, not etched. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

thetrend77

If this is the same Hot Chilicon, I like it!

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on November 27, 2012, 05:50:51 PM
The Lunar Fuzz is a super fuzz, it's about all I'm using right now (Dave/Pickdropper too). I also really like the Muff Fuzz, which can behave more like an overdrive as well.

Jacob

Yep.  Loving the Lunar Fuzz.  I also like the Screwdriver.  Skreddy puts out some great stuff, IMHO.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Haberdasher

my advice would be to build the mangler or zygote with the continental npn germ pair from smallbear.  the trannies cost some dough, but it is worth it not to have to scrape through a bunch of crappy ones to find something that won't even sound as good anyway.  if i had just built a fuzz face with those germs in the 1st place i would have saved myself a lot of time and money.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

GhostofJohnToad

Lunar fuzz - next on my list, I'm dying to try it.

Sometimes muff and fuzzes can be too wooly for me.  I have found my go to setup is my mudbunny  civil war muff preceded by the kingslayer.  It seems to me fuzz sounds best with a boost in front - helps dial it all in.

pryde

Quote from: Haberdasher on November 27, 2012, 07:33:02 PM
my advice would be to build the mangler or zygote with the continental npn germ pair from smallbear.  the trannies cost some dough, but it is worth it not to have to scrape through a bunch of crappy ones to find something that won't even sound as good anyway.  if i had just built a fuzz face with those germs in the 1st place i would have saved myself a lot of time and money.

Consider yourself enlightened; for the dude speaks the gospel truth  8)

jeffaroo

Fuzz is so hard to compare. Even if you build the same pcb as me it will sound different. Its all in the trannys. I really like the pastyface (soulbender) build. ive built 3 of them and they are all different. Use sockets for the trannys so you can swap them out. Send Steve (Small Bear) a mail about your wants / needs. I think you will be happy with the build if you use sockets. and as your taste changes, you can swap em out. Plenty of dial in the Soulbender also. turn the guitar volume down to tame the baddoggie  :o
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

PimpMyTone

The fuzz face is a must . Like haberdasher I ve bought  the continental npn from smallbear and it sounds amazing .
Simon