Effect does not engage

Started by justinsane, November 27, 2012, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinsane

1. Sea urchin
2. Effect does not engage
3.-
4.-

Hi, I have just finished building the sea urchin. I have tested it with I/O breakout ox and it worked it was a little bit noisy, but still worked. Then I proceeded to box it using my new 1776 3PDT board. But when I engage the footswitch my guitar signal still goes through but with no effect. Please help.

Thank you

hammerheadmusicman

It may sound silly, but are your PCB in/out wires the right way round on the switch? I have done that before!

As the signal would still go straight through when bypassed..

george
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

justinsane

I swapped the input and output around. It did not help.

midwayfair

If it was "noisy" but still worked, that indicates to me a possible grounding issue. Maybe.

Can you post pics?

And just to confirm what you've described: you get bypass signal in both footswitch positions?

gtr2

Did you try the suggestion I had in my email to jump pins 3 and 4 together on the pt2399?  (You could also just ground lug 1 of the delay pot.) I really don't think the issue is with your switch or switch board.

Here is a thread from just a few days ago that is describing the same problem.  Two people fixed the problem in the tread.  

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7113.0

I also had a sea urchin that worked and then it didn't pass a delay just the dry signal. The pin jump solves this.  The digital ground pin and delay pot should be hooked to ground, not just each other.  Some pt2399's work with this arrangement but others do not.

Using an audio probe would let you track down the problem as well.  You can use it to follow your signal.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/DIY-AudioTester.pdf

Hope this helps!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

justinsane

I went and jumped pin 3 and 4 on the pt2399 and now when engage the footswitch I get nothing.

justinsane

So I took out the jumper for pin 3 and 4 and grounded lug one of the delay pot. Now when I engage the footswitch, all I get is a initial pop from the footswitch followed by the delay of said popping sound, but no guitar coming through.

gtr2

Jumpering pins 3 and 4 does the same thing as grounding lug one of the delay pot.  It's good that you hear a delay passing through even if it's a "pop"

Edit: I just looked at your picture again that you emailed and you have your pcb inputs and outputs reversed.

The Out from the 3pdt board needs to go to the Out on the sea urchin board and the In to the In.  You have it the opposite.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer