News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Air Compressor thingy

Started by madbean, November 29, 2012, 02:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

So I took the plunge and ordered one of the Hot Coat powder guns from Eastwood. But, I forgot about the air compressor....any recommendations for moi? Preferably of the big box store variety and not terribly expensive.

I'm pretty burned out on bare enclosures/ordering painted ones so it seems like a good opportunity for me to try something new.

www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-deluxe-powder-coat-kit.html

jimmybjj

anything really. The gun only takes 5-10psi, cfm shouldn't matter with that gun. Almost any compressor will provide that.  One thing that I would consider when purchasing a compressor is oiled vs oil-less. The cheaper ones (oil-less) are loud as HELL! My oiled compressor runs less than 80db. Trade off is they are much more expensive and can take up more space. I started with a oil-less, and will stop powder coating if i have to go back to a oil-less. With all that being said any oil-less will serve your purpose fine if you don't mind the noise. Don't forget to get a moisture filter(s)
Pcbs no longer available

madbean

Hmm, well I don't like a lot of loud noise for sure. I even wear ear plugs when using a Dremel. Maybe I can find one on CL.

Thanks for the help!

wgc

totally agree with Jimmy.  You might also consider cans of compressed air like you can buy for air brushes.

The eastwood gun is what I have- seems a bit "cheap" but works fine. 

I wouldn't do big production batches with it, but for stomp boxes its pretty good.

I think you'll find that powdercoating is not a bad way to go once you work out a few things, like moisture filters, temperatures and times, getting a good ground connection, etc.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jimmybjj

Quote from: madbean on November 29, 2012, 03:40:06 PM
Hmm, well I don't like a lot of loud noise for sure. I even wear ear plugs when using a Dremel. Maybe I can find one on CL.

Thanks for the help!

You can find some great deals on craigs just make sure that you get a single phase (110v) compressor. I think that they go hand in hand but to make sure when your shopping for the oiled air compressor it needs to be "belt driven" for optimum noise performance. This is the compressor i got, it is about the largest tank and cfm i could get with 110v. You find you use the compressor way more than you anticipated once it is set up. I can stand right next to it and have a normal conversation (well just about) while the tank is being filled, with the oil-less i literally ran out of the garage until the dang thing cut off.
Pcbs no longer available

madbean

Got the package from Eastwood last night. Plenty enough in there to get me started. I ended going with a fairly cheap, used compressor off eBay. I figure I will keep the investment low for now until I decide whether or not I want to do powder coating regularly. According to the specs on the compressor, the noise level is around 88dB. With my regular ear protection muffs it should be tolerable.

Last up is a little oven and I'm ready to start destroying some enclosures!

irmcdermott

I just use a little toaster oven to cure my boxes.... but that means I can only do one at a time :)

jimmybjj

Yep, i used a little toaster oven in the beginning, worked great no real reason to upgrade but... I upgraded (if you can call it that) to little larger toaster convection oven for more space and better distribution of heat. My particular ovens (the old one) thermostat was way wonky, dial would read 400° and was actually curing at 350° using my IR gun (btw, if your using a IR gun readings will be way off for reflective surfaces.) My new oven is spot on and i've cured 6 125b's at the same time no issues.

Congrats btw :) I really enjoy powder coating and seeing the different results i get. I'm working on a faux anodized finish, its looking pretty great.
Pcbs no longer available

TreeSlayer

"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

jprizz

I just picked up a little Porter Cable 135 psi compressor from Home Depot for around $100 or so. Bought it to replace my honking 25 gallon, noisey as all get out one. I am very happy with it. And its quiet enough to use indoors.

jeffaroo

Some of the newer oil-less ones have really gotten quieter. My neighbor has a small pancake that he uses in his customers houses for flooring projects. and best of all we can still have a conversation while its running. Ive been eye-balling the harbor freight powder coat gun. if you are ever in a pinch they have powder too ! i think they are going to go clearance, my local store has them all marked down   :o
I don't think id buy a compressor from harbor, just for reliability reasons
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

electricstorm

Yeah, Harbor Freight has a decent selection and the prices aren't too bad either. A friend of mine bought two from them and he's had them a very Long time. I bought one from Wal-Mart seven years ago and it's still working. Oil-less, so it is a bit loud.

Like previously mentioned, don't forget the moisture filter or you'll be spraying wet powder coating eventually. Also, you do need to drain the water from the compressor tank periodically or it will rust from the inside. Very important!!

Good luck Brian!
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

Lovetone Flanger  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4twi2sbs0l5p7/1Ep9NbRE2T

madbean

Cool, yeah I have everything I need now. $20 oven completed the investment.

jeffaroo

if you upgrade the misses toaster oven, you hear less bitch'n and whining about buying crap for your hobby   ;D
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

davent

Quote from: electricstorm on December 09, 2012, 09:09:48 AM
Yeah, Harbor Freight has a decent selection and the prices aren't too bad either. A friend of mine bought two from them and he's had them a very Long time. I bought one from Wal-Mart seven years ago and it's still working. Oil-less, so it is a bit loud.

Like previously mentioned, don't forget the moisture filter or you'll be spraying wet powder coating eventually. Also, you do need to drain the water from the compressor tank periodically or it will rust from the inside. Very important!!

Good luck Brian!

Hello, I use my compressor for airbrushing and for that added 50' of hose between the compressor and moisture filter, it's suppose to be enough length to allow the condensation to happen and give the moisture filter a chance to do it's job, otherwise the water could still condense out after the filter. Also added an oil filter at the end of the line.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?