News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking (+ Echobase) in one

Started by loves_guitar, December 04, 2010, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loves_guitar

I'm quite proud of this pedal. It's a Madbean Sunking PCB along with an Echobase PCB in a 1590DD box. It's my grab+gig pedal when I don't want to haul my pedalboard.

The Sunking is a SWEET overdrive. Better with the gain <10 o'clock.

jkokura

Now that is a freaking awesome box!! I'm very impressed. Does the sunking go before the delay or after? I would have put it on the right and the delay on the left.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

thetrend77

That looks awesome! How'd you do the artwork? Decals? Silkscreen?

mjcyates

That is very cool. I have built several Sunkings and have an Echobase in progress.

loves_guitar

The chain goes Sunking --> Echobase, but for some reason, I still see things left to right. I couldn't believe how many times when I first really started using pedals I always cabled them backwards (input on the left, output on the right)! I should read less.

This is a waterslide decal on a Rustoleum Gloss White painted box. I wanted to pay homage to the original klon, obviously, but with a little more art-appeal, and then I wanted to contrast that with the organized-chaos of a delay, hence the graphic on the right.
I know Madbean has been working on a Memory-Man-esque project, but the Echobase with just a touch of the modulation turned on does a GREAT job, at least for me.

lincolnic

Quote from: loves_guitar on December 04, 2010, 11:42:56 PM
The chain goes Sunking --> Echobase, but for some reason, I still see things left to right. I couldn't believe how many times when I first really started using pedals I always cabled them backwards (input on the left, output on the right)! I should read less.

Every now and then, I try to figure out why pedals go right to left instead of left to right. I have the feeling that a long time ago, someone was wiring up the guts of a very early pedal, and they thought "Let's go from left to right", not realizing that the input and output would change sides when they flipped the pedal over. And somehow that stuck.

Anyway, beautiful build!

Marcelo

B_of_H

I always assumed things went right to left because most players are right handed and the cable comes out of their guitar on the right side as they play it. 

Nice build!  I have a similar setup with the sunking actually after my delay selector switch in the same box.  I dont use any gain on mine but I think I may swap them around, it was an experiment. 

loves_guitar

Quote from: B_of_H on December 05, 2010, 09:15:04 AM
I always assumed things went right to left because most players are right handed and the cable comes out of their guitar on the right side as they play it.
Yeah, that would be my guess, too. Weren't some early pedals wired with the input on the left, output on the right? I thought I saw/read that somewhere.

Thanks for all the comments. :)

jackbart1960

eniacmike

old fuzz faces and the sovtek green russian muffs are wired up with input on the left output on the right.

jkokura

Yeah, things like the Maestro Boomerang were (Are) wired 'backwards' too.

One way I think it can make sense is if you have a lefty guitarist. Why does everything have to be 'right to left' for them? It's backwards compared to the guitar, and likely to their feet also. But you need a standard right, so you go with the rest of the crowd who wires things that make sense in the way a right handed guitar works. So if signal comes out of the guitar at the 'right hand' of the guitarist, it makes sense to have the signal of the pedal go right to left. But with a lefty guitarist with DIY in the mind, it works to go the wrong way!

However, it's all moot, because we don't know if the signal goes that with our friend here's pedal. It might, but there's no indication of that right now. It just looks that way because of the way the pedal is laid out. The sunking on the left could be first in the guts - we have no idea right now.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

loves_guitar

Quote from: jkokura on December 05, 2010, 04:09:19 PM
However, it's all moot, because we don't know if the signal goes that with our friend here's pedal. It might, but there's no indication of that right now. It just looks that way because of the way the pedal is laid out. The sunking on the left could be first in the guts - we have no idea right now.
Is that some sort of shot at me to make me post a 'guts' shot?! :)
Here you go. A gut shot with the CUTEST model in the background wanting 'in the shot'!:

jkokura

Adorable. Plus your child looks really cute too!

But seriously, not shot meant, but I'm really glad you posted the guts! What's really interesting is that BOTH of these circuits are buffered, and not true bypass. I wonder how the two buffers do affect each other! Also, I can't tell by that wiring which comes first or last in the circuit path. Does it got Sunking > Echobase or does it go Echobase > Sunking?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

princeton