News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny build - No bass on trouble side normal?

Started by KCTigerChief, April 28, 2013, 06:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCTigerChief

So I just completed the mudbunny build, and I'm having the same problem I had on my Pastyface build too...Hoping someone can guide me to some answers.

When using the tone control, and going all the way to the treble side, all of the bass is sucked out...To me, it seems like it should just add treble to the mix, instead of add treble and cut bass.  It seems most distortion pedals I've used are setup this way, so that it doesn't sound ballless on the treble side.

Is this how the tonestack is supposed to work?  Is there a mod I could do in order to fullfill my quest for bass staying on the treble side? :)

Thanks all!

selfdestroyer

Sounds like the normal BMP tone stack to me... embrace it :]

KCTigerChief

Haha, thanks man.  I just wanted to make sure! 

I do dig the flexibility, but hell, fully clockwise is unusable unless ones ears are broken  :o ;D

juansolo

The BMP tone is more of a tilt (If you download Duncans tone stack calculator you can actually see it).

If you want a regular style tone stack muff you want to build yourself a Manx Laughton clone which uses a Baxandall stack. I don't think anyone has done a PCB for that, but I've built one on vero.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

RobA

You can change the resistors and caps used in the Big Muff tone control to tune it more to what you want. The Duncan calculator is really useful for playing with values to test. You can do a bunch of things in the tuning of the tone control profile including mid boost and cut and where the tilt occurs.

The Tone Stack Calculator is a Windows program, but it does run fine under Wine if you are Mac or Linux based. It's a really useful tool.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

KCTigerChief

You all are awesome! Thanks so much for the help and suggestions.

I'm just getting into this DIY pedal thing, and I'm pretty sure judging by the 40+ PCBs I've bought from Brian that I just dove head first.

The mudbunny is my 3rd pedal.  The first one I did was the pastyface.  Then I got curious and did a Suhr Riot vero board that, much to my surprise, worked on the first try.  I haven't looked at how much money I've spent yet, and probably won't...Between the PCBs and the thousands of components, I'm sure I'd rather not know lol!!!

Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions, I will look into these tools!

-Bryan