News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mangler Power Supply

Started by Bman40, December 06, 2012, 09:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bman40

Hey all - the build instructions for the mangler refer to using a 9v isolated power supply. Not sure what that is, but I have a Danelctrode pwer supply that I bought for my chicen salad and tuna melt pedals.

Is this what the buidl refers to?
(i am thinking not, but - a guys gotta ask, right?)

Barry

nzCdog

Yes its a good question.  The mangler runs on -9V, not +9V like normal pedals.  This is the circuit design, using PNP transitors.  So basically you can't daisy chain this with normal 9V pedals, or something might release it's magic smoke... it will need it's own power supply or a 9V battery as mentioned.

If you want you can add a road rage board to the pedal which can take normal +9V power from your daisy chain and invert it to -9V.  Read the build doc for more info on that.

Bman40

So I need a dedicated 9v power supply that has a negative centre pin?

I can find one locally for about $10.

If I go with the Raod rage  I can put that inside the pedal enclosre with the rest of the pedal, correct?

Barry

nzCdog

If you intend to use a 'normal' negative pin 9V power supply like the one you mentioned, dedicated to this effect only, then wire it +9V from the psu to 'GND' on the pcb , and 0V from the psu to '-9V' on the pcb.  For $10 this is by far the simpler option, just make sure it's a regulated supply.  I'd recommend using a multimeter to ensure you get it wired right.

If you wanted to do a road rage, yes it's a tiny board that would fit in the same enclosure.
It would mean different wiring.  The benefit would be that you could daisy chain the effect with other pedals, therefore only needing one power supply for several pedals. Have a read of the build doc for info on wiring using the roadrage.