News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TS9 went swimming....

Started by sirbergersworth, December 11, 2012, 08:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirbergersworth

I hope this is in the right place and hope it is cool to ask about a production pedal here.
Today I was given a TS9 RI that had been for a swim. Flood, sink, I don't know the story.
It has been dried and works well enough. I does have some dirt on the board. I will clean pots well with contact cleaner, but what about the board and components? Should I rinse it with distilled water and lightly take a tooth brush to it.
I plan on installing a socket for the Ic and doing the 808 mods.

Pics below.

Thanks

"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

jkokura

Personally, I would just do the typtical mods, clean up the corrosion and then play her. You don't add to the value, and most of the mods all make it sound the same in a mix. If you like the way it sounds, leave it as is.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sirbergersworth

Quote from: jkokura on December 11, 2012, 08:38:40 PM
Personally, I would just do the typtical mods, clean up the corrosion and then play her. You don't add to the value, and most of the mods all make it sound the same in a mix. If you like the way it sounds, leave it as is.

Jacob
Thanks
I was thinking a rinse might make my job of desoldering and soldering of better quality. I am not trying to sell it or add any value. Was hoping it may be somewhat reliable. .
-Robert Hunter

stecykmi

i wouldn't recommend putting water on electronics, even distilled water. use either contact cleaner (the kind with no lube) or isopropyl alcohol (ideally 99%).

pickdropper

Quote from: stecykmi on December 11, 2012, 09:52:15 PM
i wouldn't recommend putting water on electronics, even distilled water. use either contact cleaner (the kind with no lube) or isopropyl alcohol (ideally 99%).

This.  Use isopropyl alcohol or maybe even flux cleaner.  But I'd just go with high purity isopropyl alcohol.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

JohnL

Isopropyl, above 90% works well. I know it removes Mountain Dew from a lighting board well enough to make it work again.

hammerheadmusicman

I always use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean anything, works great every time, makes sure it's dry before you start soldering though. Once, i cleaned some gunge off the back of a board, put the brush down and carried on soldering and got a face full of the worst fumes you could ever imagine! i only did it once ;)

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

sirbergersworth

Quote from: stecykmi on December 11, 2012, 09:52:15 PM
Thanks all.
I will use isopropyl.
You guys rock btw.
-Robert Hunter

pickdropper

When I am done washing a board, I often use a can of compressed air to blow out any remaining liquid from under ICs.  Not always necessary, but occasionally helps.

When cleaning a board, be careful not to get it on the inside of sockets as it can deposit old solder rosin in there.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sirbergersworth

Quote from: pickdropper on December 12, 2012, 06:59:21 AM
When I am done washing a board, I often use a can of compressed air to blow out any remaining liquid from under ICs.  Not always necessary, but occasionally helps.

When cleaning a board, be careful not to get it on the inside of sockets as it can deposit old solder rosin in there.

Thank You!
-Robert Hunter

jeffaroo

yeah, contact cleaner is awesome. it is pressurized like a can of air and drys extremly fast.
i used to use it as a degreaser. OSH had a good one in a black can at half the price of the others
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

sirbergersworth

-Robert Hunter