News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clipper Ship 2.0

Started by midwayfair, December 15, 2012, 01:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Everything about this is better than the first version I built ... the distortion is better, it doesn't hiss, and I think the art came out better this time, too.

MP38A (hfe 61, L ~ 60) and some of Smallbear's colorful "Generic" Ge diodes with Fv around .27V.

I audited a lot of transistors in this one and my breadboard, and the Russians in the end had the creamiest sound when breaking up. A CV7112 (Hfe 58, L < 10uA) was a close second. It had more crunch and brightness and cleaned up a little better with the volume knob, but since I was shooting for "Voxy" and I always like using cheaper parts when they don't make a difference, I used the Russian.

I also discovered something really interesting: Apparently the first transistor can be literally anything now. That means ... NPN OR PNP:o This doesn't really make sense to me, so if anyone has any thoughts for how and why it works, I'd love to hear them. Pretty much ANY gain range works, with just varying degrees of volume knob cleanup, brightness, and total distortion. Note, however, that an NPN silicon won't work *at all* if the reverse bias/temperature drift diode is in the circuit ... PNP will though :-\

For anyone curious about this circuit, here's the schematic and layout:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5368.msg61990#msg61990

I've added an etch image to the new layout in case anyone wants to build it, but it must be scaled (I don't know how to do that).

I've filmed a demo and will upload it overnight.

studiodunn

That artwork is awesome Jon..............even better when the size of the box is taken into consideration.

This build is on my short list.

Haberdasher

great painting jon, that looks awesome
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

^ Thanks guys.  :D

studiodunn, just make sure you use the most recent schematic and layout if you really do decide to build it (which would be very flattering). :)

hammerheadmusicman

I think I'll have a crack at building one of these, after the bearhug, which unfortunately is after a load of builds which aren't for myself! Going to etch them both, then when funds aren't as tight buy a bear hug board or two to support te cause, keep up the good work John. This build looks awesome :)
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

nzCdog

This is one of my favourites of yours... nice work 8)

pickdropper

I said it on TGP, but it bears repeating:  this is a beautiful build.  The detail on the ship is great.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Thanks again.

This type of painting -- where the whole thing is covered -- does require a lot of extra time just waiting around. Overall it's something like a 24-hour process including the clearcoating and the white base coat. This is kind of weird to me, but some of the blue paints also seem to take extra long to dry (whereas white acrylic is like 3 minutes and it's permanent), so not only do I have to wait longer to do the layering with them, but I have to be really slow about the clearcoat to keep them from bleeding. But the end result is definitely worth it for some builds. I can't imagine building a bunch of these, though ...

dbharris

whitebread47

I agree with the previous posters, great artwork!  I really dig the hand painted aesthetic and particularly your creative ways of incorporating the name of the each pedal in the artwork.

Can't wait for the demo.  Been wanting to build something other than another Klone or classic fuzz for some time now.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

lincolnic

I'm late to the party, but this is a beautiful pedal.

jkokura

I have to say that's the best art I've ever seen on one of yours Jon! I'm so impressed right now.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

fendman

Top Marks for that pedal jon...the three knobs look like clouds, I think it looks fantastic. Well done :)

As for building it, I like vero builds now and again so may have a go at this one when I get the overhead transparency's so I can etch a board for it.

Great work fella.