News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mission Control: Looper/Switcher, clever stuff, if I say so myself!

Started by DutchMF, January 05, 2013, 10:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

I got this enclosure from a forum member (Ian, you know who you are, thanks!) and wanted to make a Mission Control type of thing, master switch for the entire pedalboard.... What is in there? 5 loops, a built-in Bloviator, and some clever switching!

Here's the signal path:
Loop 1: Tuner, this will be in the signal path most of the time, as the tuner I use (Korg DT-10) has a pretty good buffer. Can be taken out for some buffer-shy fuzzes...
Loop 2: Wahwah, needs no further explanation
Loop 3: Boost/Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz effects
Loop 4: Tremolo/Chorus/Flanger/Phaser/Delay effects
Loop 5: Always on booster/EQ
Bloviator: a lot of you guys know and love it, special sauce for your tone!

And these are the switching options:
Bloviator can be switched on or off
The order of loop 2 and loop 3 can be reversed, Wah into Fuzz, or Fuzz into Wah
Loop 5 can be at the end of the signal path (just before the Bloviator) or at the beginning (making it a loop 1.5, technically...)

Some pictures:
Outside

And inside:

When integrated into my setup, loops will be hard-wired to their respective switches, with the cables running through the ugly holes you see in the 2nd picture.
This was a royal bitch to wire up, 7 3PDT's (4 stomps, 3 toggle's), 5 LED's, Bloviator... I started out with some AWG22 stranded, but realized I could not get 2 of those into one pole of the 3PDT's, so I redid the whole thing with the solid core wire I love so much... Really, the photo's I posted don't do the wiring job justice. I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow.....

Paul

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pickdropper

That's a very nice build.  I've got a looper here that I haven't gotten around to tinkering with.  The bloviator was a good idea.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Well that's just bad ass, I have a bloviator question. I have a bbe sonic stomp I love, but i find it to be noisy, how does the bloviator compare?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

whitebread47

Killer build, Paul!  The Bloviator is a nice addition as well.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

midwayfair

DutchMF

Quote from: jimilee on January 05, 2013, 12:40:56 PM
Well that's just bad ass, I have a bloviator question. I have a bbe sonic stomp I love, but i find it to be noisy, how does the bloviator compare?
The Bloviator is not without noise but when you're running into a high gain amp (Marshall TSL60 in my case) , it's silent, if you know what I mean!  ;) seriously, it's the same as your other home made FX, build clean and lessen noise. It's cool!

Paul

studiodunn

That is awesome man! And those LED bezels make me tear up missing my Wizard MC  ;)

hammerheadmusicman

Yeah. The is badass,what is the enclosure, and where can I get one? I need something like this in my life!

Good work, as always!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

DutchMF

You can get an enclosure like that at Mammoth... Got mine powder coated from one of the forum members, thanks again!!! If you need any help on the switching, drop me a PM, I've got some diagrams to clarify things...

Paul

jimilee

Quote from: DutchMF on January 05, 2013, 01:44:03 PM
Quote from: jimilee on January 05, 2013, 12:40:56 PM
The Bloviator is not without noise but when you're running into a high gain amp (Marshall TSL60 in my case) , it's silent, if you know what I mean!  ;) seriously, it's the same as your other home made FX, build clean and lessen noise. It's cool!

Paul
Well that's cool enough. My bass amp isn't real high gain but it's loud for sure. The bbe is so punchy, I'm definitely interested in the bloviator.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Roctopus