News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Retrograde Questin

Started by TreeSlayer, January 05, 2013, 01:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeSlayer

i've been playing around with my retrgrade and love it! i do have one question though. when i switch the octaver off, the sound gets almost clean as a bell. i took the cover off to find that i had all of the caps installed backward! i replaced them because i wasn't sure if they were damaged or not. well, after i put it all back together, it seems to sound exactly the same as before! any thoughts?
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

pryde

No something is a miss there. The non-octave fuzz is a righteous, thick sounding fuzz on its own.

I assume you mean you put the electro's in backward before. You may want to start there and just replace them for starters.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: pryde on January 05, 2013, 02:11:21 PM
No something is a miss there. The non-octave fuzz is a righteous, thick sounding fuzz on its own.

I assume you mean you put the electro's in backward before. You may want to start there and just replace them for starters.

i had all of the capacitors in backward to start. when i switched over, it was almost clean. i replaced all of the capacitors, installed correctly, and it's the same as before i changed capacitors. very strange indeed....

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

pryde

How about transistor orientation? Sometimes having them flipped will give a thin sound> Maybe post some good close pics of the build.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: pryde on January 05, 2013, 04:13:25 PM
How about transistor orientation? Sometimes having them flipped will give a thin sound> Maybe post some good close pics of the build.

i'll get some up tomorrow. thanks for the help!

TreeSlayer

Quote from: TreeSlayer on January 05, 2013, 05:40:46 PM

you may have hit on something here. i used 2n3565 in Q2 and Q3, and i remember not knowing for sure how to orient them. i installed Q1, 2n5087, with the flat side lined up with the flat on the PCB drawing.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: TreeSlayer on January 06, 2013, 11:28:21 AM
Quote from: TreeSlayer on January 05, 2013, 05:40:46 PM

you may have hit on something here. i used 2n3565 in Q2 and Q3, and i remember not knowing for sure how to orient them. i installed Q1, 2n5087, with the flat side lined up with the flat on the PCB drawing.
pryde, you've done it again! i pulled the 2n3565's out and put some 2n3904's in. i oriented the like the PCB showed and it's a whole different box! now to figure out how to orient the 2n3565's on the next build...

pryde

awesome, glad you got up and running. If you didn't, always socket the trannies  :). It makes swapping a cinch as transistor pinouts are often different, even the same transistors from different manufactures can be.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: pryde on January 06, 2013, 01:39:04 PM
awesome, glad you got up and running. If you didn't, always socket the trannies  :). It makes swapping a cinch as transistor pinouts are often different, even the same transistors from different manufactures can be.
i just ordered some sockets. they're kinda expensive, but i figure i can use them on first time builds, then when i build the next one, i can put them in permanent. thanks again for getting me to think on this one. it seems to be getting a little easier, now that i'm learning what does what and how.  :D