News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One knob optical compressor / Fatpants !!!

Started by MIM#1, September 24, 2012, 08:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIM#1

Well, I've owned dozens of compressors over the years,mostly ROSS,Dyna Comp or squeezer based.The only optical comp I've owned was an old DOD 280 and it was ok. But the FATPANTS is really exactly what I've wanted in a compressor.Really brings out everything I love about my strat.I'd say this is a must have for clean rythem players like myself.Also very quiet hitting my overdrive/distortion pedals. I built mine with one volume knob,[trim pot for compression] and a switch that toggles between the recommended 47k and a 100k for more exagerated squish.
Couldnt be happier!

claytushaywood

jkokura

Quote from: claytushaywood on January 07, 2013, 05:36:05 PM
ummm, the fat pants is not a compressor!

Depends on your definition of compression. It's technically a boost, or a preamp, also depending on your definition, and it has a certain amount of 'compression' built in, but it is not persay, a compression pedal like the others described.

I use a Fatpants type circuit often. It could easily be mistaken for a compressor.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Haberdasher

Hey I was just playing my fat pants v2 yesterday.  Great sounds.
Love that finish, it looks like green marble.  anyway, good job!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

claytushaywood

Quote from: jkokura on January 07, 2013, 05:41:07 PM
Quote from: claytushaywood on January 07, 2013, 05:36:05 PM
ummm, the fat pants is not a compressor!

Depends on your definition of compression. It's technically a boost, or a preamp, also depending on your definition, and it has a certain amount of 'compression' built in, but it is not persay, a compression pedal like the others described.

I use a Fatpants type circuit often. It could easily be mistaken for a compressor.

Jacob

by that logic absolutely anything could be a compressor- an inefficient speaker, a tube amp, a pickup

and sorry i didnt quote him accurately- the fatpants is not an optical compressor- sorry, it just aint- dont lawyer up on me for trying to inform this guy

jkokura

Easy there Clay.

I'm not saying the Fatpants is a compressor in the terms you're thinking of, but it acts much as a compressor does. I use one often, I understand both effects, and what this thread about is how much MIM likes his. He's getting the sound he wants out of it, something the compressors he's tried hasn't given him.

Easy man, I'm not calling you wrong, just that you need to broaden your definitions, and to be more encouraging.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

wolfingsworth

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 08, 2013, 12:52:56 AM
Hey I was just playing my fat pants v2 yesterday.  Great sounds.
Love that finish, it looks like green marble.  anyway, good job!
where did you get that finish? This looks awesome! Who cares what its called as long as it sounds good :D

jimilee

That is a kick ass finish. Does it come in red?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Beautiful, beautiful paint. I'm not sure you should label it, at ALL (even on the sides!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

Looks great man! I love the paint job and matching green led! Keep em coming!!!

mulletmaster

Green LEDs are so underrated, everyone uses blue and red! Great build!

angrykoko

Great looking build, love the green marble.
I tried a green LED on my rub-a-dub, mine doesn't look as good on my build, yours looks great.

Are you sure you have a FatPants?  The FatPants versions I've been contemplating building all have 2 pots and nothing "optical" inside of it.

Anyways, looks great!
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Haberdasher

OK, I've got it.  It's an afterlife with a switch that takes r7 from 47k to 100k, and an internal trimpot for sus.

Like he said, it's an optical comp.  And he named it fatpants, which is his prerogative. :)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

nzCdog