News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Acoustic Guitar

Started by gtr2, January 09, 2013, 07:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

In the next 6 months or so I'd like to sell some unused gear and purchase a new acoustic.  I have a takamine that sounds fantastic, plugged and unplugged but I don't enjoy playing it.  Mainly because of the size its a rather large dreadnought and I just find the size uncomfortable to play.

I'm not sure what my budget will be but I'd be in the 1k-2k range based on what I can sell.

I prefer a more slim style even though I'd sacrifice some projection.  Any thoughts?  I do have a favor towards martins but I'm not even sure what in there lineup would fit the bill.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mjcyates

I have a Breedlove from their Atlas series that I really like and is affordable.

pryde

I to love martin and depending on what/how you play, a 000 body style is great. Just big enough for nice projection and bass but very comfortable to hold and play.

There are some different styles and woods with the 000 body in the martin lineup. I personally fingerpick with acoustics so a wide nut (1 3/4") and string spacing is for me. My personal fave is the 000-15MS, joined at the 12th fret, hog top and sides, slothead. Simple, classic, and beautiful  :)

spaceboss

The Martin 000 series guitars are a great size and sound combo for me. I have an 000-15 mahogany from way back when (I see the price is up steeply from when I bought mine for $600.). It has a really balanced tone, records well because it is not too boomy, is great for finger picking, and is much smaller than a dreadnaught. I think the size is called auditorium. It's not super loud either, which for some is a drag, but when the wife is trying to sleep is a godsend for me.

I have reservations about buying a mahog anything these days, so I'd probably stick to spruce which it looks like they have one for just over 1k. The good news is that these guitars are common enough (as is the atlas in the post above) that most big guitar joints should have one on hand to try out.

Good luck.

spaceboss

Quote from: pryde on January 09, 2013, 08:11:04 AM
I to love martin and depending on what/how you play, a 000 body style is great. Just big enough for nice projection and bass but very comfortable to hold and play.

There are some different styles and woods with the 000 body in the martin lineup. I personally fingerpick with acoustics so a wide nut (1 3/4") and string spacing is for me. My personal fave is the 000-15MS, joined at the 12th fret, hog top and sides, slothead. Simple, classic, and beautiful  :)

Hah, great minds thinks alike.

patrickbrose

I love my Taylor 414CE. Easily the best guitar I have ever owned. Super fast neck, comfortable shape and size, projects well and has a great tone.
If you need smaller, you can go with the 412CE. I really liked it, but it doesn't sound quite as full as the 414, plus it is a bit quieter.
But yeah, my 414 is my go to acoustic. I will never sell it or buy another acoustic again (unless I need a baritone!)
-P

aziltz

do yourself a favor and check out some taylors.  I have a 214e from the first release in '06.  It's solid wood (unlike todays 214), but I highly recommend the Taylors.

I had the opportunity to visit their factory last year and I was really suprised to learn that everything above the 300 series is built with exactly the same workmanship and quality, only the woods, inlays and details vary.  I thought that was a really great idea, that a lower series guitar would play exactly the same as a much higher series, even though the sound and cost is different.

I took a gazillion pictures when i was there, so if you're interested, and don't mind skipping through 20 or so of me playing their show room guitars, here it is, http://s132.beta.photobucket.com/user/aziltz/library/2011/Taylor%20Guitar%20Factory

jimijam

Quote from: patrickbrose on January 09, 2013, 09:14:20 AM
I love my Taylor 414CE. Easily the best guitar I have ever owned. Super fast neck, comfortable shape and size, projects well and has a great tone.
If you need smaller, you can go with the 412CE. I really liked it, but it doesn't sound quite as full as the 414, plus it is a bit quieter.
But yeah, my 414 is my go to acoustic. I will never sell it or buy another acoustic again (unless I need a baritone!)
-P
I had a taylor 614ce that was amazing. the body shape was very comfortable seated or standing. the back and sides were a stunning flamed maple with made it really stand out with other instruments in a band setting. the expression system has a powerful eq and was the best amplified acoustic tone I've ever tried and It played better than many electrics in terms of string height and action. the tension was such that a full step bend was very easy to execute without any extra stress on my fingers. the string spacing was wide enough for clean fingerstyle playing. I would think with some due dilligence a used one could be had for around $1200 to $1400.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

aballen

I have a prestine Martin OMC-AURA I would be willing to part with.  Great guitar.

TNblueshawk

My Taylor 214e ( I had a PUP added so technically a 214) is small and is the reason I play it more than say my Washburn which is not huge but it is bigger. It ran me 1k with the PUP installed.
John

ncdb07

Check out the PRS SE Angelus! Most comfortable acoustic I have ever played! The neck and fretboard is amazing. Great tight tone. Intonation was perfect. Sounded like a Martin with a little less bass. Also included a very nice hard shell case. Its on my short list.

Daniel
ncdb07
ncdb07
Daniel

culturejam

It's not fancy or presitgious, but I love my "parlor" Takamine. Dreadnoughts are too big for me as well, so I need something a bit smaller to play comfortably.

Here's the thread on mine:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6213.0

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jeffaroo

CARVIN THINLINE ALL THE WAY
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

whitebread47

Considering a more comfortable acoustic myself.  I love my Epiphone AJ-500M, which is an "advanced jumbo" body, but I'm not a big guy and it is huge.  I picked it out by picking up every acoustic in the local shop and strumming a few chords.  The Epi Masterbilt series beat out a lot of $800-$1000 acoustics, which was a total surprise and why I bought it (roughly $500).  Might need to see if they have a size smaller than dreadnought.

I remember seeing CJ's Takamine parlor style and have since been plotting on one of those.  The price is great, and it looks sharp.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

gtr2

Thanks guys for the input.  I think I'm going to try out the 000-15 series first.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer