News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vocal pedals..

Started by hammerheadmusicman, January 05, 2013, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

So my girlfriend is a vocalist, and I've been telling her to buy some good pedals for ages, verb, delay, some kind of modulation..

Then recently I started thinking, would I be able to make some..

Have any of you guys had any experience with building vocal pedals? Or do you know of any circuits that could be modded for vox?

Thanks

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jtn191

delay and reverb seem the most useful. I could also see the use for compressor and maybe some dirt pedals (my friend tried using a way huge swollen pickle iirc but it was pretty feedback prone).

The main issues I see would be input impedance and making sure the input level isn't too low or so high that it clips opamps etc when that's not intended

My friend who led church services used a store-bought pitch correction pedal. The idea of that blew my mind

hammerheadmusicman

Yeah i was thinking about the possible impedance Issues, delay and reverb are definitely the main ones I'm thinking of tbh..

Thanks

George

DutchMF

The singer from my band has been using guitar pedals for over 20 years. Current setup is a vintage Ibanez flanger (so want to steal that from him!), cheap-ass Beringer delay and a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz. He uses these for both vocals and his blues harps, sounds friggin' awesome! And the whole impedance issue doesn't matter, he just uses some XLR-to-jack adaptors, straight into the mixer, sounds good!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

hammerheadmusicman

Gonna get testing..

http://colomar.com/Shavano/intro_opamp2.html

What do you reckon to the 'XLR low input impedance from that page^

George

oldhousescott

Look for designs based on the SSM2019 or INA217, both integrated mic pre chips. You could use an NE5532, but it would require more support circuitry.

dwstanford

You may find useful the xlr adapters that have a transformer to go from mic level (lo-z) to hi-z(guitar).  This should clear up most impedance issues, but can limit your headroom a bit.  There are always going to be sound quality issues with this sort of thing, but pedals are designed to destroy or add distortion to your audio most of the time anyway.