News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wambler 65?

Started by 9Lives, January 12, 2013, 07:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

9Lives

Qrpkits.com is another good one. Sorry to bombard you, you just got me looking lol

jimilee

It's cool, I really appreciate that.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

9Lives

There's a butt load of stuff out there. I would look into something that does side band. Just search for qrp transceiver kits there's literally tons to choose from, from 50$ to infinity

Which pedals have you built? Have you done this fet od? I love the way it looks bc is built almost just like a tube amp, down to the bypass caps. I think I'm going to go ahead and build it. I was hoping sone one could give me a tip on resistor value for 2sk117 bc I bread board this and couldn't get it going.. didn't try very hard, I just didn't feel like busting out the trimmers and data sheet print out.

jimilee

I will do just that. As far as the pedals go,I've built the cave dweller the smoothie,an opticomp from byoc,a blues breaker from byoc, a bear hug compressor from 1776 ,just finished a paramix last night,finished one about 2 weeks ago but trashed it. Got hold of some cheap wire and the boards at gpcb have tiny holes and I couldn't get it unsoldered.Just ordred the parts for a decimator an auto wah another delay and a multiplex.
I am slowly grasping an understanding of what each section on a pcb does,but these guys are amazingly smart (including yourself) and I have still much to learn. On top of that,I'm a singer and a bass player in a band so my time is definitely broken up.
What about you?

9Lives

Hmm I too started off with the byoc kits. I think I did the 2 knob vca comp. I then moved on to mad beans pcb. I really started learning by etching his artwork at the bottom of his pdf. These days I get most of my kicks from designing my own pcbs or even circuits based on what I see and study. I can't begin to give you a list lol. I've done several klon, ge fuzz, boosts, comps delays. Amp mod s... list goes on. I've done 3 linear s now and tones of radio mods.

9Lives

Keep going though man, specially since you got that pt2 delay going. Back when I started messing with that it took me a while to get it working. Id say I gained a great life skill through all this. I'm a basic gadget fixer now. Very important in today age. Your on the right track. Don't be scared to try different parts using sockets and what not, that's where I started understanding why these guys use the value s they use.

As for the wire not fitting here's a tip. Get the tip of the wire good and tinned. Flip the pcb and surface mount that bad boy. It's a completely acceptable way of working. I do it all the time with radios and amps. Makes it easier to change values. Put some solder on the pad first. If you ever lift the pad, don't freak out. Use a small knife and scratch off a small portion of the trace and solder to it.

jimilee

That's very cool, do you have a background in electronics or are you self taught?

9Lives

O dude.. im redneck engineer at best lol. I've taught myself every thing minus what others in these forums have shared.