News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Resistor Tolerances

Started by sirbergersworth, January 14, 2013, 06:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirbergersworth

Happy Monday,

Do you guys use 1% or 5% resistors in your builds?
I have been using the 1% resistors but they are a tad more expensive at our local electronic surplus store.

Are the 1% resistors worth it? Do they make any noticeable difference in sound?

Thanks!
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

jkokura

Debate is out as to the sound. I doubt metal or carbon film will give you an audible difference sound wise.

I use 1%, because I can. using %5 is just fine, but if you want to, measure your parts for how accurate the values are.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

It's probably more voodoo than science.  Measure up your resistors.  I have a mix of carbon film and metal film 5% and 1%, and generally they all test pretty close to the stated range.

As far as price goes, if you've got enough reason to, put in an order with Tayda.  $0.01 per resistor, either 1% or 5%.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

stevie1556

If you look at a lot of mass produced pedals, they use carbon comp resistors. Personally, I prefer metal film ones as that's what I was taught to use when I learn electronics in school and college. They are just over double the price per pack of 100 though (£1.10 compared to 50p).

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Haberdasher

I have little rules in my head I go by.  Like anything > 100k I use metal film.  Anything under that I use whatever I have.

And yes, I always measure my resistors- but not so much to see how close their tolerance is- more to make sure they are what I think they are.  As in, "I better make sure this is really a 39K, and not a 3k9."

i have heard it said that metal film might have less noise, and that the only time you may notice it is in really high gain dirt or modulation pedals.  but the whole idea is kind of to make noise anyway, you know? :D
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

CRBMoA

I am with The Dude!

I measure to make sure I have the correct part, but I rarely stress over tolerances.

Admittedly, I pay more attention on modulation builds than dirt/distortion builds.

If anyone can hear the difference between equally valued resistors with different compositions, he is a better man than I am.

sirbergersworth

Thanks for your opinions.
I always check my resistors for value as I place them. I was just seeing what other folks use.
I try my best to get my components locally if I can. We have a great surplus store, plus I can spend cash and my lovely wife won't crab at me. :-)
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

jeffaroo

yep, nothing worse than fixing a troubleshooting just to find out the wrong value was dropped in.
its also good practice to double check as you build. may not be as big of a deal with pedals but could be fatal on bigger builds. i had a lithium meltdown once all because i didnt double check my work. LOL i wish i took pics !    ;D
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !