News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590A Tri-Vibe and Hamlet Delay & Preamp #1 (my new delay design)

Started by midwayfair, January 19, 2013, 07:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Runoff Groove Tri-Vibe on Solderman's layout:

Thanks to Haberdasher for the etch, which was perfect as always.

World's most boring gutshot, I know. And the graphics on the front aren't particularly inspired, either, but I thought to myself when wondering if I should add something: Anyone who isn't impressed enough by the fact that it's a through-hole 1590A build of a circuit that's supposed to go in an enclosure four times this size isn't going to be impressed by some more elaborate paintwork."   ;D

This was NOT a particularly fun build. I know a couple other people have attempted one of Solderman's insanity builds (like a 1590 Phase 90 or Flanger), and now I know why I never see them do two ... Among other things, it's really difficult to drill the case (I had to carve out the footswitch hole to get it lower), then you have to do this ship-in-a-bottle thing to actually get the entire thing in there. The traces are so small that I had to reflow some solder not once, not twice, but THREE times before all was said and done. The part where I removed part of the lid turned out to be unnecessary; I was just being overly paranoid.

I'd probably feel better about the whole thing if it sounded as good as the 1590B-sized one I made a while back, but it doesn't. It's a little brighter, and there's a footswitch pop in Whirl and Swirl modes that doesn't exist in my bigger one. :( I think it might have something to do with which chips (e.g. LM13700 in this one instead of 13600) I used. I'm not saying it sounds bad by any means. My other one just sounds better.

And Hamlet Delay #1, my new delay design. This one's a late Christmas present for my friend, Joseph Scala. He's the bassist in my band and also produced, engineered, and is-currently-mixing my new solo EP.

Poor Yorick! Finish is anodized orange, which is now one of my favorite colors. I don't think my ghost came out too well, unfortunately. The external controls are repeats (words words words), mix (discretion), and delay (procrastination). Why are the footswitch and jacks so low? I had drilled this box for something else that turned out to be too big ...

I'll be doing a full member project thread soon-ish. Brian's about to release a whole bunch of delays and I certainly don't want to steal his thunder. Plus, I need to prototype the PCB and work out some other details. Just glad I can free up my breadboard for a bit now!

However, just a few features:

• Tails (or optionally true bypass)
  • Extremely transparent 18V preamp with adjustable boost (6-10db) and very quiet operation. It can take a lot more in-line volume before distorting than something like the DBD.
  • Very high input impedance, and low output impedance.
  • Common parts and values with easy substitutions.
  • Tone trim for the repeats, which can be brighter or darker than the dry path. The filtering is also a little different from many other PT2399 delays -- there's less of it on subsequent repeats, which does something kind of interesting, creating this sort of singing, high-passed shimmer sound. The Multiplex does some of that thanks to the progressive bass loss; I just took it one step further.

MattOcaster

That Hamlet Delay looks pretty sweet! Über neat wiring as well.
I've always liked the idea of some sort of tone control over delay repeats.
Changes the delay completely.
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

hammerheadmusicman

These look sweet John! I've been looking at that solderman 1590A Tri-Vibe Layout for a while, but i already have a lovepedal picklevibe, so it would be unnecessary torture!

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

marauder

You have more patience than me. I hate boxing 1590a, i let juansolo do all the wiring, it drives me nuts.
I'll populate the board and paint the enclosure, but just cant wire them very well.

Those trivibes woud have been perfect for the Leslish pedal, it would have fit in a 1590bb, and still have room for the crossover vero.

midwayfair

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on January 19, 2013, 09:36:30 PM
These look sweet John! I've been looking at that solderman 1590A Tri-Vibe Layout for a while, but i already have a lovepedal picklevibe, so it would be unnecessary torture!

The tri-vibe's vibe mode is true pitch vibrato, though. You should do yourself a favor and build a 1590B version  if you haven't (there's a full-sized etch layout by John Lyons). It's one of the best modulation pedals on the planet, and if you like the pickle (which is pretty much just a Phase 45 with the vibe mod) you'll love the tri-vibe.

hammerheadmusicman

If i'm honest, i just bought the pickle because one was on ebay going cheap, and i couldn'y say know, but for how compact it is, it can cover a lot of bases tonally in a function band setting, it gets a lot f use, as i know you are, i'm really in to A sized pedals, so i've looked at this several times! it's not the box wiring, or the 'cramming' i'm generally quite good at that stuff in an A sized build, it's the sheer magnitude of things on that tiny board!! and how tight everything is! Maybe i'll be brave and just go for it ;)
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..