News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

paint

Started by jeffaroo, December 30, 2012, 03:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffaroo

i got a toaster oven for christmas and tried my first attempt at baking on a finish. set the oven to 150
and did a coat of etching primer and baked for 30 min (looked great)
first coat of white 150 @ 30 min (looked great with a very small fish-eye)
added a 2nd coat of white (thinking i could cover the fish-eye) 150 @ 30 min

pulled it out only to discover a nasty crinkle on one side. its not totally bad but im wondering if it will get worse as i go, or should i do a do-over
i almost wonder if im shocking the paint from 40 degrees to a nice cozy warm toaster oven
any thoughts?
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jeffaroo

jkokura

Your guess is as good as any. Truthfully, it sounds like you just need to do some experimentation and take some time to practice. Most of the coolest finishes I've seen on pedals have happened by happy accident, or by purposely ruining an otherwise good looking finish.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jeffaroo

seems very temp tempermental. i did a chunk of sheet metal on a very cold day and it turned out beautiful ! that is till i pulled it out of the oven. it wrinkled right before my eyes. went from a toasty 150 down to 37 in a matter of seconds. i might just play with acids over winter. wanted to try my hand at etching anyways

Stomptown

Quote from: jeffaroo on January 06, 2013, 09:44:22 PM
seems very temp tempermental. i did a chunk of sheet metal on a very cold day and it turned out beautiful ! that is till i pulled it out of the oven. it wrinkled right before my eyes. went from a toasty 150 down to 37 in a matter of seconds. i might just play with acids over winter. wanted to try my hand at etching anyways

I had the same issue last winter with all the wrinkling. Theres got to be a way around it, but it would take a lot of trial and error (or the wisdom of someone with the knowhow). Try etching though it's loads of fun and it doesn't care about the weather!

aballen

I recommend a powder coater.  You can get one pretty cheap at harbor freight.

jeffaroo

yeah....ever since they dropped the price. they cant keep them in stock !

Beerdog80

I bake my pedals at no more than 110.  Double check your oven to make sure that whatever the stated temp is actually what it is putting out.  For example, my oven says 150 on the label but is actually near 185 when it's on. 

jimijam

the wrinkling is probably caused by the 2nd coat being too thick and wet. the solvents from that coat burn into the under coat and softens it till the paint film lifts and swells, causing the wrinkled finish. i wouldn't bake until it has all the coats as baking causes the finish to shrink. you want all the layers shrinking together if you take my meaning. fish eyes are usually cased by a contaminate on the surface. make sure you sand and degrease the encloser before priming. and do not touch it after. I wear powder free latex gloves when handling preped metal. the salts and oils from your fingers will penetrate to the surface no matter how many coats you spray.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!