News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Custom Switcher

Started by jkokura, January 20, 2013, 12:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Had a client who wanted a custom switching unit for their rig.

Basic setup runs like this: Buffered Input (Split to Tuner Out) > Effects Loop > Amp Switcher (Amp 1/Amp 2 with A/B)

So, you can run your guitar in, have a dedicated Tuner out, Run an effects loop, run your signal with quiet switching (no ground issues) to two amps, and the second amp output is actually A/B so you can run to two channels on the same amp (client's amp pair is an Egnater and a Vox AC30 which he wants to run either of the two channels on).

Glamour Shot.

And the Guts.

Originally I had 3 PCBs made up, but the A/B one I used a bi-colour LED, and I misunderstood/couldn't find the correct LED - all of them seemed to work backwards to what I needed (i.e. common cathode not anode... I think). So, there's a PCB missing, but I still have a couple copies of the switcher and buffered effects loop with dedicated Tuner out.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

spaceboss

Looks really cool. Love the transformers. (What function do they serve?)

jkokura

Quote from: spaceboss on January 20, 2013, 04:21:52 AM
Looks really cool. Love the transformers. (What function do they serve?)

Decoupling ground. With a Simple A/B switch for switching between amps, it's very easy to get pops due to grounding issues. The Transformers isolate each output for the A/B switch, so with this setup you can get on/off for amp A, and on/off for amp B. You can also set it up for A/B or on/off and A/B. It's not a new design. It's based of R.G's work, which is what the BYOC switcher is based on as well.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

timbo_93631

that is some nice work Jacob!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

nzCdog

Great build in and out...I love the stamp lettering, where did you get those??

wolfingsworth

Just looking at the outside, one would expect to see a jumble of wires inside, not the case. Those guts are as clean as could be. Nice work!

pickdropper

Yeah, I am not sure I've ever seen a switcher with wiring that clean.  Looks great.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

studiodunn

That looks great. That is so clean considering the functions being performed. Nice work as always.

jkokura

Thanks guys! I'm still bummed I had to do the A/B switch without a PCB, but sometimes you just can't help it.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*