News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

regulator for road rage

Started by crashguitar, December 12, 2010, 06:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crashguitar

Is the regulator for the road rage available at Mouser? I think I have most components figured out, but I am new to this component.

maysink

U only need a regulator if u need something other than +9v, -9v or ~18v. For example: u want a constant 12v u'd need a 12v regulator like this.

What I'd like to know is if the Road Rage can do all these outputs simultaneously?
[nothing to see here]
-e

stecykmi

road rage should be able to handle a medium-sized circuit that uses more than 1 of the outputs. The trouble is in supplying current, so as long as you're not drawing too much it should be fine. i can't remember what the device is rated for, but it's probably something like 30mA.

one obvious application would be to use +9 and -9 as supply voltage for an opamp. that would probably make a pretty decent high-gain boost if you use a good quality device.

crashguitar

I am hoping to include it in a build of the Grapevine. What I would really like to do is put a switch on it that allows the overdrive circuit to get 9v or 18v. Is that possible?
I am still learning all this stuff; can I use a spdt switch to choose between the 9v and 18v outputs on the Road Rage?

stecykmi

i don't see why it wouldn't be possible. However, I would prototype it with 18v before you got through all the trouble because sometimes it may make no difference.

madbean

Yes, you could definitely use it to switch between 9/18v. Just use a center off SPDT, run a wire from the middle lug of the switch to the fx board, and the two outside wires to 9 and 18v output on the RR.

I think the 1044 charge pumps can safely supply up to 80ma....they are not the most robust in terms of current supply, but they at least get the job done for getting those higher voltages when you want them.

crashguitar

Great, thanks for the help.
Back to my original question, would this work for the regulator: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/MC78L18ACPG/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuLLNXTG1MZak6HpgO6pjZJfQvxL4RFlk8%3d?

Thanks, again for all the help.

maysink

I don't think you need a regulator for 18v output--I *believe* it does that all by itself. Just use the ~18v output on the board. Yeah. If you look at the schem, the ~18v output occurs before any regulator comes into play.
[nothing to see here]
-e

crashguitar

Good idea, look at the schem a little closer. It does appear to me that the regulator comes after the 18v output. So, it is my understanding that I can omit that portion of the build and should be fine for th 9v and the 18v output.
Thanks to everyone for the help!

madbean

Unless you use a supply voltage of over 9v, you won't get 18v exactly out of the RR. It will be somewhere between 17-18v. If using a 9v supply and you use 1N5817 diodes instead of 1N4001 you will get a little more juice.

Keep in mind that a TC1044 is only rated up to 12v input, too.

Haberdasher

until I get a regulated power supply in a couple of months I will be plugging up one that is over 9v, more like 15v.

i assume this means I will need a regulator in there.  the document says any reg under 17v.

so help me out here, will a 78l05 (5v) will do the trick?  I'm not sure I understand that...

and will the 1n4001's protect the tc1044 from the crappy 15v supply?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jackbart1960

Oh no dude do not put 15 volts into a MAX1044!!! They are rated for 10v. max!!!
Peace. J.J.B.

Haberdasher

I think the tc1044 can go up to 12v.  I'm sure I can find a supply in a thrift store or something around here that's closer to 9v.

What about the regulator, just in case I wanted to put one.  Is the 78L05 OK if I wanted to turn 9v into ~18?, or would I need a regulator closer to 17v?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

The 78L05 is a 5v regulator. It will give you approximately 5v output. If you want approximately 18v, you don't need a regulator. The TC1044 with a 9.5v supply will give you about 18v at the ~18v pad.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals