News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Favorite Combo pedal builds

Started by mandrewbot3k, January 17, 2013, 06:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

I have about 6 PCBs right now that I'm populating and to save a little bit of cash, I was thinking about boxing some of them up together. What are your favorite combos? Any suggestions for what I have?

My PCBs: Bear Hug Compressor, Multiplex, Egodriver (OCD), Hotcake, Fatpants, Black '65 (I'm planning on ordering the Moon Lander (lunar deluxe fuzz) and a kingslayer (modified klon) when they are available too, and maybe a rubadub.

I wouldn't object to reboxing some of my current pedals, like my Timmy with the bearhug or the RC with the Kingslayer or something. My guess is the moon lander and multiplex should be by themselves unless I get hte rubadub then that will go with the multiplex.

My current setup is:
MIM tele w/bill lawrence keystones and 4-way switch, almost always run in series =>
Boss TU-2 => Behringer DynaComp (always on)  (my modded boss cs-3 is not playing nice) => Timmy clone (always on) => GGG TS-808 clone (Landgraff overdrive) => BBE Two Timer delay => RC Booster => A/B box (Normal/Top boost)
Vox AC15c1

Yes I need a rangemaster at some point but the rc and top boost channel work well for me right now.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

hammerheadmusicman

Put the fatpants in with OCD, with a switch to switch the order. I did it with a quasar (AC build).

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on January 17, 2013, 06:56:59 PM
Put the fatpants in with OCD, with a switch to switch the order. I did it with a quasar (AC build).

George

That's what I was thinking. My only concern is running it after my comp and timmy like I was planning on. They are sort of my base tone. I'm not sure how the fatpants would do after those two, any idea?
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

hammerheadmusicman

Do you have a test rig? Do some experimenting, I don't hate a Tim, but I have ran the FP after a comp, and it sounds great
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

gtr2

The multiplex and rub-a-dub are a very popular combo together.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

GermanCdn

Pairing up the Fatpants with the Bearhug would be my recommendation, a couple of comp/boost combos on the go myself right now (a fatpants/afterlife and a bearhug/little red booster), maybe throw an effects loop in between them so you could toss a dirt pedal in between if desired.

The Kingslayer also plays well with compressors, so that's a viable option.

I also think the Ego and Hotcake would be a good combo, not so much because they'd sound particularly great together, but that they'd typically occupy the same area on the pedal chain.  
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on January 17, 2013, 07:16:16 PM
Do you have a test rig? Do some experimenting, I don't hate a Tim, but I have ran the FP after a comp, and it sounds great
Not technically. I have a breadboard. And I have a probing rig, but not really a true test rig, the probe will work though, it has power and audio in/out.

I've thought about building one with headers and use the same headers to make pigtails for the pedals, but i'm lazy?

Quote from: gtr2 on January 17, 2013, 07:27:49 PM
The multiplex and rub-a-dub are a very popular combo together.

Yeah, it seems like a good setup. My Vox has decent reverb on it, though I think the rubadub might be a better bill. The AC15c1 has a bit of long decay on it, but I can get a new accutronics tank for less than I can build the rubadub w/belton for (no offense intended Josh). I do like the idea of them together though so they can come on together.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

gtr2

No offense, facts are facts  :)

I like them in the same enclosure but both independently switchable.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jeffaroo

P90 and a tone bender mk II  is my favorite, throw that fuzz in with a smoothie

next combo build is going to be a dual echoplex
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jeffaroo

save your money, get the kingslayer or suckerpunch and mod it to holy hell
nothing really wrong wit a daisy chain of pedals. breadboard and play, find those sounds that you like.
write down the values that you like and keep playing with it. you could end up with one board moded to give several sounds all under one hood    ;D

takes longer to build and a little more reasearch is needed
but when its done... you'll be driving it like a priest teaching a sunday school class
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

alanp

An ambient, shoegazy pedal would be fun. Rub-a-dub, Cave Dweller Dub Ed. (fairly simple, dark, gets weird if you crank the mix knob), and some kind of flanger, perhaps? What else?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mandrewbot3k

All good suggestions. While I love the idea of modding stuff and having a plethora of options, it really doesnt fit my typical stye of playing. I run with my Timmy and comp on all the time and only use the landgraff clone to get a little more grit and mids into the mix on a couple of songs. And I use RC booster and my top boost channel to boost for some lead stuff.

I'm really a set it and forget it kind of guy, I don't like having TOO many options on each pedal. I forget what I use for what otherwise, I like to just stack stuff and see how it sounds. Once my fatpants and OCD are done, I have a feeling my landgraff clone will be just a mid booster of sorts and the I'll use the OCD for the extra grit.

Maybe I need to breadboard or just suck it up and box em all individually.

I've even contemplated unboxing everything and throwing them into a pedal board sized enclosure with all the footswitches along the bottom. And using a patch system on the backside to set the order of everything.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

mandrewbot3k

So I've decided on how I'm gonna combo these, so let's see what ya'll think...

Moon Lander Fuzz/Multiplex in a 1590BB (Do I need a DD?)
Bearhug/Hotcake/Rangemaster (seems very AC15 appropriate) in a 1590 DD
Fatpants/OCD with a flipper in a 1590 BB
Black 65 125B
Kingslayer 1590BB
Sparkplug 125B

With the first two combos I'm going to have in/outs for each effect with jumpers. In case I wanna insert them somewhere else into my board or reorder them. I know that sounds weird, but it would make them quite versatile.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)