News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to tell if an IC is operable

Started by hoodoo, January 20, 2013, 02:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodoo

G'day to all, Matt here. Just a question for those folks that would know, might be a dumb question, apologies if this is the case. Anyhow, I want to know if there is a way to tell if an IC is in operable condition without placing it in a circuit. I have come across a range of second hand ic's, and am trying to determine what to build with what i've got, but don't want to build the circuit and then find that the ic doesn't work. Any advice appreciated, thanks, Matt.

DutchMF

The only thing I can think of is placing it in a board that is known to work, but then that board would have to be compatible with the IC in question. You could also breadboard a circuit that takes the IC you have and test in that way

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jeffaroo

i seen some guy that had a testor he made i sent him a email with no responce
all i seen was 2 switches 2 leds and a wierd chip holder (pinch type like on a computer motherboard)
and a terminal strip on the side
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jeffaroo

may be worth a try, but it will work a little better with a chiquita bannana sticker in the corner
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

hoodoo

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated, Matt.