News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need some help choosing an od...please

Started by 23h2o, January 21, 2013, 01:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

23h2o

Hello all, I need some help in a choosing an od. I'll mainly be boosting (more gain and tightening the amp up) a jet city jca22h and either a 5e3 or 18 watt TMB clone (plan to build one). I had a neutrino burst and liked it but sold it like an idiot, so now i need another od. Ive narrowed it down to the glitterati, green bean, or another neutrino burst.

While I liked the neutrino for boosting (except for the loss of bass) I didnt care for it as a stand alone. Which I did use it as from time to time.

How much does the green bean sound like the neutrino burst or the GGG TS with keeley 808 mods?

Is the Glitterati similar to a TS just more control?

I want some mids added but not so much that it sucks the life out of the sound i already have.

What would be the best solution for what Im trying to do? I mainly play rhythm, everything from metal to zz top just got paid type riffs.

I can really only afford at the moment to build one.

thanks sands

jimilee

You should get a tube screamer clone, they're awesome
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

23h2o

Ive built 3 or 4 from ggg boards keeley mods but cant really remember wha they sound like mainly because they were for other people. How does the green bean mods compare to the ggg keeley mods. I know it would be more versatile with all the switching and i would sub a 1m pot for gain, 500ka for level and a 5kb for tone.

I still am interested how the glitterati stand up against the green bean for boosting. Which has more db of boost on tap?

Stomptown

I would look into a boost pedal if that's all you are looking to use it for. IMO less circuitry equals less modification to the amps original tone. I made a micro amp on stripboard and a thunderpuss and I like them both. I also built the triboost from BYOC a while back and I really regret selling it (its a mosfet/linear power boost/dDllas Rangemaster). I have a ts-808 clone, a neutrino and an OCD and I use the micro amp more than any of them live. I do like the neutrino but not as a boost...

23h2o

Would a simple boost actually tighten up the sound of an amp? I know some bass frequencies have to be cut to deliver a tighter tone.

Stomptown

Quote from: 23h2o on January 21, 2013, 03:28:47 AM
Would a simple boost actually tighten up the sound of an amp? I know some bass frequencies have to be cut to deliver a tighter tone.

I guess I should have read your post a little closer! A simple boost will probably not do this since they don't have any way to manipulate the tone. I'm no expert on this though.

hoodoo

Hey mate, build yourself a kingslayer and you'll be a happy chappy  ;)

jkokura

I could also recommend the Super Happy OD, or the Steaming Kettle. The Steaming Kettle will drop in the next two days at www.jmkpcbs.com

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

For pure boost nothing touches my Rangemaster. For a good standalone overdrive through a good clean amp I would have to second the Kingslayer; great drive. I also use my TS style drive (FD2) a lot.

MIM#1

I'm using my Egghead as a boost, and its a great sounding transparent overdrive! Prefer it over my Kingslayer actually! 8)

GermanCdn

The list is long when talking about ods, so I'll try and keep it short.   With regards to only building one circuit out of your selections, I'd go with the green bean.   You're going to get a much more versatile pedal, you can build it with all the ts mods you want, and it will deliver what you're looking for.  As far as other choices, I too would suggest the kingslayer.  I'll be ordering jacob's streaming kettle, but I haven't built one yet.

Given you're using a jca head, and if you're feeling like doing a little more work, I'd also suggest an mxr ZW-GT od build.   Sounds great with higher gain setups.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 21, 2013, 06:32:11 AM
For pure boost nothing touches my Rangemaster. For a good standalone overdrive through a good clean amp I would have to second the Kingslayer; great drive. I also use my TS style drive (FD2) a lot.

When someone says "tighten up" it usually means less bass in their high gain sound to me. A treble booster or tubescreamer really seem to be the right choice based on that description.

Op, do you have a breadboard? It would be really easy to breadboard a rangemaster to see if it fits what you want.

JakeFuzz

Yep exactly. I use my RM to boost and push through the mud that can result from too much bass driving the tubes. I usually bump up the input cap to around 15-22nF; the stock setting is a little too much treble to my ears. The FD2 does a similar job but the RM has something about it that makes it sound so cool.

23h2o

I have had oc44 and 71 rangemasters and really enjoyed them with a strat but not so much with a paul.... Kingslayer huh...just how close is it to the klon, Trying to get an idea of what it sounds like....

To be honest I was leaning towards the glitterati last night. will have to check out the KS.
Can anyone give a comparison as too the green bean compared to a keeley 808 baked? I know a ts is a ts, well never mind....

went to your site JK, whats the steamkettle based on or similar to.

jkokura

Quote from: 23h2o on January 21, 2013, 09:23:34 PM
went to your site JK, whats the steamkettle based on or similar to.

Well it's a Tubescreamer, but a good one. Ever heard of the Rock Box Boiling Point?

http://proguitarshop.com/rockbox-boiling-point-20.html

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals