News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover at 15v. . . +?

Started by Micpoc, January 19, 2013, 10:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

Finally got the pots for my Current Lover installed and, though not boxed yet, all appears to be running smoothly  (though I'm not quite settled on the trimmer settings). It has a MN3007 and a Road Rage for upping the voltage. Before I attached the Road Rage to the Current Lover, I hooked it up to my Pedal Power 2+ to check the voltage and the 15v output was actually measuring about 15.6v.

My understanding is that the MN3007 is rated for 15v max. Am I being overly cautious by running it on one of the 9v "sag" outputs adjusted to get it right at 15v?

LaceSensor

hmmm, wierd one. the regulator should put out 15v pretty stable, that wont drop if you attenuate the input 9v, as it is being doubled to appoximately 18v then regulated to 15v.

I would try it, I think it will be fine. definitely makes teh Current Lover "come alive" rather than at 9v...

Micpoc

Quote from: LaceSensor on January 20, 2013, 05:53:37 AM
hmmm, wierd one. the regulator should put out 15v pretty stable, that wont drop if you attenuate the input 9v, as it is being doubled to appoximately 18v then regulated to 15v.

Well, it's definitely attenuating. I wonder if there's something wrong with the 15v regulator itself, maybe. I used one of the smaller TO-92 regulators instead of the TO-126 style... would that make a difference?

LaceSensor

I always go with the bigger ones but thats just me.

madbean

The TO-92 are generally rated at 100mA which should be sufficient. But, you can replace it with the TO-220 or similar if it worries you. I don't think you will kill the BBD with a couple percent over-voltage but there is also no reason NOT to run it right at 15v, too.

Micpoc

Quote from: madbean on January 22, 2013, 05:49:58 AM
The TO-92 are generally rated at 100mA which should be sufficient. But, you can replace it with the TO-220 or similar if it worries you. I don't think you will kill the BBD with a couple percent over-voltage but there is also no reason NOT to run it right at 15v, too.

TO-220, that's what I meant.  :-[  I think Mouser was out-of-stock on the appropriate ones when I ordered... that, or I just got lost among all the possible candidates.

I guess there's always the possibility that my multimeter is off as well.