News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus with VTL5C1's

Started by JakeFuzz, January 21, 2013, 10:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Here is my Nautilus. Been meaning to box this one up for a while. Wanted to take a break from tolexing my amp today so I etched this enclosure up. Had to go back over the range label because it didn't etch the first time around. Ferric Chloride bubbles like crazy when it etches aluminum, usually we use KOH in the lab and it doesn't go anywhere near this crazy. Also acrylic paint is not a suitable mask for FeCl3 as can be seen at the edges. These big face etches are tough. The top of the enclosures need to be sanded flat

This thing just oozes Garcia tones. Super fun to play. I was a little worried about the VTL5C1's as they had a longer light history than most of the other vactrols but it seems to work just fine. I cant wait to plug this into the front end of my dipthonizer!

madbean

Cool, glad you like it. I've built it with VTL5C3 and VTL5C2, so it seems like there is a range of candidates.

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

really like the positioning of the nautilus shells on the front. it has a neat ambiguity, because they look a little like eyes, too. Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite writers:

QuoteTo sum it up in a few words: they developed eyes at our expense.

-Italo Calvino, "The Spiral"

JakeFuzz

Thanks guys. I cant wait to play with it more today.

Quote from: midwayfair on January 22, 2013, 06:18:26 AM
really like the positioning of the nautilus shells on the front. it has a neat ambiguity, because they look a little like eyes, too. Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite writers:

QuoteTo sum it up in a few words: they developed eyes at our expense.

-Italo Calvino, "The Spiral"

Now that you say that they do look like eyes. Creepy. Now it is going to stare at me every time I play it  :D I was actually going to put 3mm led's in the middle of the shells but they ended up in weird places over the jacks.

JohnL

If I may ask a question, how did you wire up the Bandpass switch with a toggle?

JakeFuzz

Quote from: JohnL on February 07, 2013, 10:48:46 AM

I just used an on\on\on DPDT switch and wired it up according to jubals diagram here.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6759.0

Works great!

Stomptown

nice etch! I'm still trying to figure out a design for mine...  :-\

nzCdog

JohnL

Quote from: JakeFuzz on February 07, 2013, 07:11:16 PM
Quote from: JohnL on February 07, 2013, 10:48:46 AM

I just used an on\on\on DPDT switch and wired it up according to jubals diagram here.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6759.0

Works great!
Thanks, now I just need some time to build this one.

JakeFuzz

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Stomptown on February 09, 2013, 12:33:28 AM
nice etch! I'm still trying to figure out a design for mine...  :-\

Yeah I knew what I wanted before I started designing the face but i've spent a long time staring at an empty Photoshop template before. It helps to have some sort of theme in your head before you start. 

ch1naski

The nautilus works fine with vtl5c1's ?
Good to know, I just bought a few.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

hammerheadmusicman

Have you guys noticed any differeces oin the sound using the different vactrols?

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

JakeFuzz

I haven't noticed anything off about the sound with the VTL5C1. Sounds great really. I have the suggested LDR's in a bag somewhere but I never felt the need to put them in there.

fendman

Nice build Paul, seeing the passes wired with a toggle has got me thinking now...torn between what Brian said about the chicken head and yours with the toggle  :-\