News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster + Tonebender power & LED wiring?

Started by stevewire, January 22, 2013, 12:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewire

Hello.  I posted this question in the General Questions section, but no one has replied.

I'm lacking a little confidence about how to do two circuits, in one enclosure, with a single battery.  I have done a forum search and I am not sure that I get it.  I am using an external on/off switch and no external power.  I want to only use a battery for these two effects.  The PNP wiring is enough to make me rethink every time I am about to solder up the next wire.  In the past I built the Pasty Face and a couple of Rangemasters in their own enclosures.  They turned out great.

So far I only have the positive of the battery snap connected to the ring of the input jack.  The round side of the LEDs are connected to the A1 lugs of the 3PDT switches.  And I assume the flat side of the LEDs will connect to resistors and then the negative side of battery snap after the on/off toggle switch.  And I think I should also have two wires coming from the negative side of the battery snap going to each PCB?

midwayfair

The last page of the rangemaster build document has the wiring for the LED.

A semiconductor conducts "negative" to "positive." On an LED, the cathode side is the "negative."

the good news is, if you put the LED in backwards, nothing bad will happen. You won't even blow up the LED. It just won't light up. So if it doesn't light up, then you've got it in backwards.

Ground is common in the ENTIRE stompbox. It doesn't matter how you connect the ground wires -- they can be connected to the footswitches, jacks, battery, or the other board, as long as every. single. ground. is connected throughout the stompbox.

stevewire

Hey midwayfair,
Thank you for responding.  I was beginning to feel this post was going to go overlooked.  Apparently I have an older version of the RangeMaster board and documents.  I have the LEDs hooked up correctly.  I was most curious about the battery power being connected correctly for both boards.  I am assuming the negative side of the battery then just goes to the two LEDs (with resistors) and to the two boards?  Basically branching off in FOUR directions?  And the positive (red) side of the battery snapped is only connected on the ring of the stereo input jack.  No other considerations for two circuits?  Please confirm if you can.

This is the way I have assumed all along, but it is the first time I have tried to build two separate circuits in the same enclosure.

midwayfair

Quote from: stevewire on January 22, 2013, 03:24:57 PMI am assuming the negative side of the battery then just goes to the two LEDs (with resistors) and to the two boards?  Basically branching off in FOUR directions?  And the positive (red) side of the battery snapped is only connected on the ring of the stereo input jack.  No other considerations for two circuits?  Please confirm if you can.

This is correct. However, you don't HAVE to connect the -9V all to the battery. They just need to be attached to each other or some common point. Do whatever makes the wiring easiest.

As far as "considerations for two circuits" -- you're running two LEDs off a battery. This will significantly shorten the battery's life. Just something to be aware of.

stevewire

Thank you Jon.  Although I am not too concerned about battery use, would you suggest CLRs larger than 4.7k?  It's my understanding that both circuits are pretty easy on batteries.