2013- Official License Agreement changes~ new opportunites for customers/members

Started by madbean, January 22, 2013, 07:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I would like to take a more permissive attitude toward the use of madbeanpedals PCBs and projects. Most of you already know that in the first couple years of operation, I took a fairly strict "DIY USE ONLY" approach to licensing. With the more recent project releases the license agreement has been stated as the following:

[xxx] PCBs purchased from madbeanpedals may be used for small quantities of commercial pedal building (keep in mind that bulk discounting on PCBs is not offered). You may not, however, offer [these] PCBs for commercial resale (re-distribution) or as part of a "kit".

So, I would like to extend this to all the current PCBs offered for sale in the store. What does this mean?

Any PCB that is currently listed on the projects page can be used for your own commercial endeavors. This means PCBs purchased from the store, AND/OR made from the etching artwork in the documents (if available) can be used in your own pedals you make specifically for the purpose of selling. So, if you want to build some Big Muffs for sale and use the Mudbunny PCB (whether you buy them from me or etch your own from the artwork) that is totally okay. You do not need to credit me, or offer any compensation for this....EVEN WHEN USING THE ETCHABLE ARTWORK. Same with the Zero Points, Low Riders, fuzzes, etc. You know what I mean  ;)

Again, this has already been the case for the more recent projects, but I never "officially" extended it to all the current PCBs.

Two caveats: the "redistribution/kit" contingency is still in effect, so please do not make a ton of etched Mudbunnies and sell the PCBs on your own, or sell them as part of a kit. This is the only way madbeanpedals could be seriously damaged. And, this does not extend to the discontinued projects i.e., the "boutique" clones I no longer offer like the zVex clones, Klon, etc, blah blah. If you have any questions on particulars, just email or PM me.

Beyond that, it's up to you guys how you want to use them. Start a little pedal company, use some of these designs to get you going, and then hopefully branch out into your own designs/layouts, etc. Whatever you want to do!

Lastly, if you are using the MBP PCB's to sell your own pedals, it is a good idea (and my preference) that you do not use the same project name. For example, if you want to sell some Kingslayer builds, use a different name. The only reason for this is brand distinction....so that your customers don't think it is something I built (probably more applicable on re-sale or used, but you get the idea).

Beyond that it is only up to your imagination. I realize I'm a bit behind in terms of "licensing" compared to other people doing this kind of thing, so now it is time for an evolution. I want to continue to encourage and help you guys in whatever way I can in making your own path...whether that is a hobbyist, pedal maker, or whatever. Because that is what you have helped me do as well!

Feel free to ask particulars in this thread too, if you have questions.

timbo_93631

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

midwayfair

Thanks, Brian.

Though I will continue to e-mail you every time I sell something with one of your boards to try and give you a cut of the pedal's selling price, even if you've told me "no" in the past. :)

culturejam

Nice update!

I would make sure to highlight this part, however:

QuoteAnd, this does not extend to the discontinued projects i.e., the "boutique" clones I no longer offer like the zVex clones, Klon, etc, blah blah.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jeffaroo

Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

wolfingsworth

Wow! This seems very generous! BTW when will we see some Madbean pedals for sale?

whitebread47

I'd noticed this policy in the build docs of certain boards like the Range Master and I think Mudbunny as well and had been wondering where everything stood on that.  Thanks for the clarification, Brian, and everything else that you do for this community!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

somnabula

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

electricstorm

Very very generous Brian! Wow, what a wonderful person!!!

Still think you should get a percentage though, IMHO.

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

Lovetone Flanger  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4twi2sbs0l5p7/1Ep9NbRE2T

fendman

You are very kind thinking about others and their futures...Thankyou :)

eldanko

How bout we all take a percentage of our builds, throw it into a fund, and get Brian a nice sweater for Christmas each year?   ;D
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

madbean