News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about wiring multiple leds

Started by Hangingmonkey, January 26, 2013, 07:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangingmonkey

Im building a pedal with 3 overdrives, a guvnor, a sparkle drive, a boiling point and an sho boost.  Theres a 4p3t switching between the overdrives and theres a led indicating which od is selected and then the output signal goes to a dpdt which selects the boost on/off.

Anyway, im doing all the offboard wiring and tested out the switching. The bypass led is an 8mm diffused red with a 1k resistor and the overdrive and the 3 od selection diodes are 5mm blue diffused with a 4k7.
When the bypass led is on i find that the blue led is off and when the bypass led is off, the blue ked is on. Im guessing that the 4k7 resistors need to be reduced in value to get the blue and red to both light up but i thought id ask here as i dont want to do any unnecessary tinkering and experimenting (because i have broken my thumb a few days ago)

Heres some pics. Sorry about the coffee stain, i grabbed the first bit of paper that came to hand.

Btw,  the way it is presently wired to the 4p3t switch, the od selector led is always on when the box is connected to a power supply. Im thinking about grounding them all to the bypass led ground so that alm leds are off when bypassed.

jkokura

The key is having the LEDs in parallel. If they are in parallel, they won't interfere with each other and you don't need to worry at all.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Hangingmonkey

Thanks jacob and jimi.
They are wired in parallel, then i guess the resistor values arent the cause of the problem. Hmmm, i need to scratch my head and think about this....

Hangingmonkey

Problem sorted. Ill post some completed pics in the appropriate thread

jeffaroo

nice looking project
coffee looks like a white mocha....mmmm
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !