News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2013 - ARGGH! New Postal Rates - International customers must read.

Started by madbean, January 28, 2013, 07:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

That's crazy prices! About 5 weeks ago I ordered 3 circuit boards from the US to the UK (still waiting for them though) and played $17 postage!

Wasn't from madbean though.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Tremster

Shipping from Madbean or JMK or 1776 ist still really low compared to what some online dealers take for shipping pedals.
So thumbs up!

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

hoodoo

I'll second that thumbs up for good postage rates. Went to purchase 2 boards from another site yesterday, due to a sale they were having, thought i'd give them a go, $24 postage to Australia, $6 more than the boards cost, needless to say, i gave them a miss.I wonder how many other overseas customers will do the same, and just not bother. So, thanks again gents, for quality product, service and prices that are much appreciated, all the best, Matt.

Chi_Boy

Man, I am having a lot of trouble with international shipping.   There seems to be no consistency between postal workers.   

The packaging I'm using is a padded envelope about 6" by 8".   As packed, it's much less than 3/4" but more than 1/4".     Some of them put it through as "large envelope" which is roughly $4 to ship and others insist that it is a "package" because it is padded.   Package rates for the same item are about $10.

I think I need a different packaging scheme, but I'm not sure what will be consistent with the postal peeps. 

What are you guys using that is consistent?

Chi_Boy

The new shipping rules are rediculuos.  I went to the PO and they said my envelope was padded, so that automatically makes it a package rate.    So I took everything home and repackaged in a flat envelope.    Now they say its a package because there is mechandise inside.   Even though it is a 9x12 envelope that is clearly less than 1/4" thick.    I just can't win with these people.   

madbean

You may need to print up the info on the USPS website cause they do not say a padded envelope automatically makes it is a package. In that case, use a cardboard mailer like a CD thing maybe.

pickdropper

I've been shipping out boards taped to a folded up piece of paper in a standard envelope.  I send it as an envelope of uneven thickness, which is accurate (the example on the post office machine used a letter with coins or pens as an example).

It's a little tricker with International as they want to charge package rates, but so far I've been successful in getting them to put it through as a "letter with uneven thickness."

If I start seeing breakage due to the processing machines, I'll switch over, but so far so good and I can charge a lot less for shipping.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Chi_Boy

Quote from: madbean on February 05, 2013, 12:15:46 PM
You may need to print up the info on the USPS website cause they do not say a padded envelope automatically makes it is a package. In that case, use a cardboard mailer like a CD thing maybe.

I actually did print the specs and bring it in.  They didn't care.  They insist that because there is merchandise inside (can't hide that for international) it makes it a "package" and they refuse to budge.  It's not worth agonizing over the domestic shipments because the difference is only $0.70.  International is just a huge jump for package rates.

Once in a while I get lucky and catch a counter person who puts it through as large envelope, which I think is correct, but those are more rare now.

I even argued with a supervisor without success.  I just can't win with any of them, no matter how many times you point to their own website and ask them to explain.

I don't think the CD mailer would work.  Today I taped the boards to the inside of a manila file folder.  The boards were in the outer portions of the 4 quadrants so that the envelope would pass the flex test without issue.  I put the shipping papers in the folder, then shoved the whole thing in a 9"x12" envelope.   No dice.  Package.  The CD mailer could work to save a little on domestic, but once they read the international paperwork, they would call it a package.

I'm thinking there has to be SOME kind of USPS option out there.   Do a search for "China post ePacket"   The rates are hugely discounted.  But we can't have those rates.  Nice, huh?

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Tape them inside a greeting/birthday card, won't make a noticeable difference in thickness as they're only marginally thicker than gift cards.   Might do the trick.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

juansolo

Yup, I can see this causing problems. If the way GPCB has done it is the future of this, it's going to make international orders non-existant. He had an offer on the other day which I would have totally taken advantage of, had it not been utterly ruined by the postal rates. When the postage is more than the boards, it's a definite issue.

On the upside, I've ordered a load of boards recently while the rates have been sensible, so I've at least got a few months before it's really going to cause me issues.

marmaliser

juansolo

Another idea. We could do a bulk order for the UK and forward it on from here. Import duty might smart though, and we'd still have to cover forwarding costs (2nd class post + a Jiffy). Keep it monthly and it wouldn't be too much of a ballache. As long as the costs were covered I'd have no issues doing this. Duty would likely be the kicker though.

Chi_Boy