News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Victorinox

Started by pickdropper, January 29, 2013, 06:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mshuptar

jimijam

You could eat off of it. It's that clean. very nice build mate.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

sirbergersworth

Incredible Build!
Super Cool!
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

electricstorm

Beautiful build there man!

Couple of questions though. Are all your components on one side of the board or do you use both sides of the board when laying them out?

I worked at IBM years ago with SMD. But as a hobby, how did you go about jumping into the SMD builds?

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

Lovetone Flanger  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4twi2sbs0l5p7/1Ep9NbRE2T

pedalman

cleaner than a swiss army knife
very nice
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

pickdropper

Quote from: electricstorm on January 31, 2013, 07:19:53 PM
Beautiful build there man!

Couple of questions though. Are all your components on one side of the board or do you use both sides of the board when laying them out?

I worked at IBM years ago with SMD. But as a hobby, how did you go about jumping into the SMD builds?

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

To answer your question, some of the boards here have components on one side, some have components on both sides (they all have traces on both sides).  all three boards in this build are slightly different:

1.)  Screwdriver board - All of the components are on 1 side.

2.)  DBD board - It has components on both sides

3.)  Shoot the Moon Board - This is a double-sided board, but each side has a totally separate circuit.  One side is trem, the other side is chorus.  I didn't need chorus for this build, so I only populated the trem circuit (which is usually the bottom side).  That is why there is such a long dead area on that board.  The top layer is a lot more dense of a layout.  If you search for my Moon Angel build, you can see the top side

As far as how to get into it, that is a bit more difficult to answer.  I had already done some SMT work, so I decided to layout a board with it in Eagle and it kind of grew from there.

I did small prototype runs of 10 pieces for each of these boards so I do have a few extras if you want to try giving one a shot.  Doing one of those, or finding another existing SMT layout might be a good way to get started in the hobby.

I'd be happy to answer more questions if you have any.

- Dave

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

electricstorm

Cool!

How much for a Shoot the Moon board? I might be interested in learning to do this outside of a production environment. I may have other questions later, if you don't mind answering them.

Are there build docs for all the boards or just the Shoot the Moon board?

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

aballen

Just ridiculous man.  Your builds are just beautiful and your enclosure design is better than most of the production stuff I see out there.... Just wait by next year the big boys will be laser etching their enclosures like yours.

Rip57

Whoa! Amazing work. Who needs a pedal pad when you have the Swiss Army Pedal?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

electricstorm

Dave,

I am going to populate both sides of the Moon Angel board I bought from you a while back and wanted to ask you about the SMD UA78L05CPK regulator. The packaging says it is moisture-sensitive and may require a baking process before soldering. Did you have any problems with it? Did you have to do a baking process or is this just for production solder reflow process where the device is subjected to high temps for long periods?

Sorry if this was not the right place to ask these questions.

Thanks,

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

pickdropper

Hey Jim,

It shouldn't be a problem for hand soldering.  That issue usually shows up with reflow.

I've soldered those regulators by hand multiple times by hand without issue.

With PT2399 builds, I usually verify the regulator voltage before I solder the chip in.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

electricstorm

ElectricStorm

No current affiliations