News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lunar Fuzz (Collaboration Content)

Started by jkokura, January 19, 2013, 04:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

This is a preview of the upcoming Moon Lander PCB coming from JMK PCBS, but it's also the first build I've done fore myself in a while. Because Dave (pickdropper) did this enclosure, it looks way better than I could have done. I love doing collaboration builds, so if anyone out there in DIY Pedal land has an idea on a collaboration project they want to do with me, let me know. I have mad PCB skills to bring to the teamwork thang...

Anyway, the build didn't go smoothly, but it all worked out. When Dave did the enclosures, or rather, when I gave him measurements for the pots, we didn't consider how close we'd end up to the 'top wall' of the 125B. So, there were a pair of problems. You might see in the gut shot below that I actually had to grind away a bunch of the corners where we have the extra metal for the screw taps. That was ok, but not even thinking about things, I then proceeded to drill out the top wall for my usual configuration of top mounted 1/4" and DC jacks... Duh - if we were too close on the side pots, of course the middle pot would be too close too. Thanks to Jon who sent me a 9mm pot, which with some finangaling I was able to fit in there - so it's 'almost' all PCB mount jacks.

I've started using some 3PDT boards of my own design. I am not sure about it, because essentially if there's an issue you pretty much have to throw away the whole switch and board - no getting that PCB off of that board to reuse either - but the ease of the clean looking ribbon cable and board mounted LED has made me feel a bit better and get a bit quicker in my builds.

I love the etch Dave did, and the aluminum knobs I have were perfect.

And the Guts.

Hope you enjoyed!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

hammerheadmusicman

i got a board off one of my switches the other day, i have a 30w desoldering iron, which is like an iron and a solder pump, i am probably telling you something you already know! but i just sucked the solder off, without getting the switch hot, and a bit of a lever from underneath and it's away, no fuss. mine is just a cheap one from china on ebay..

anyway, this build looks really awesome! Pickdropper does some great work with the laser etching biz! I bet there was some swearing when you realised how close to the top you were! it all came together though, so it's all good It's good to build one for yourself once in a while!

george
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

midwayfair

pickdropper

That looks great, Jacob.  I'm really happy to see this build report.

Yeah, the layout was definitely too close to the top of the enclosure.  Funny, a little bit of tweaking would've fixed that.  Once in a while, I get so focused on the graphic layout I do something goofy like that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

I think those are the cleanest guts I've ever seen.

Damn, dude.

Micpoc

Incredible. I'm assuming this is based on the Lunar Module? I've just started a stripboard build of this, so I'm wondering: how upcoming is "upcoming"?  :)

Haberdasher

I know you had problems, but it came out great in the end.  Really nice!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

btw, the way to pull 3PDT boards from switches is to use a heat gun.  They aren't the cheapest thing in the world, but I am probably going to buy one because they are so useful when you need to heat a general area all at the same time. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pryde

Fantastic. Kudos to both of you on a great collaboration build.

raulduke

Thats a beauty.

Love the colour of the enclosure  :o

nzCdog

Quite simply, friggin awesomeo.
So jealous right now, excellent collaboration :o

ch1naski

All of it is beautiful. The wiring, board, box, knobs.....top notch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

Bret608

I will be happy when this board is out! I think this is still one of the classiest enclosures I've seen.

ch1naski

Quote from: jkokura on January 19, 2013, 04:15:24 PM

I've started using some 3PDT boards of my own design. I am not sure about it, because essentially if there's an issue you pretty much have to throw away the whole switch and board - no getting that PCB off of that board to reuse either - but the ease of the clean looking ribbon cable and board mounted LED has made me feel a bit better and get a bit quicker in my builds.

Here's an idea...don't thru plate the holes for the switch, maybe? Might make it easier to de-solder...of course, that would make the boards less durable, I reckon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk