News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking and ground in and out of the box.

Started by BRGPollen, February 05, 2013, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRGPollen

Ok, This makes me feel like the biggest noooob around.  I finally got around to building the Sunking V3 that I had purchased.  I included the clipping diode mod that gives you a tone of options.  With all of the pots, mods and what not & anything else that I thought I could do to to thoroughly confuse myself, I pit it on my testing rig and viola!  I had given birth to one of the mythical beasts here!   ;D

Feeling proud of myself, I designed the box, drilled it , painted it and installed my new Sunking.  As I always do before I close up a box, I took it to the music room for a thorough break in.  I plugged it in and ........  no sound.  >:(

So, I took it all out of the box and went back to the stage I knew it was working.  After unsoldering the input and output jacks and DC to put it back on the test rig, I didn't have high hopes that it was going to work  but .......  there was my awesome Sunking!  So I thought I must have made a noob mistake wiring the jacks and DC.  To defeat this I installed the Input and output jacks back on the pcb.

OMG GROUND HUMMMMMMMMMMM.   All I have effectively done by doing this is remove the Input and Output jacks and 3PDt bypass switch of my testing rig.  While testing in this format I made sure to try one or the other and both Sleeve connections tied to ground to see if I was just missing a ground point.  Neither had any help.  ??? 

Does anyone have any Ideas?  Thanks again for all of the wonderful searchable advice here.

"B"
The Musician's Theory of Relativity . . . . . E=Fb

Bret608

Were you getting signal in bypass? I boxed a working circuit this weekend, had signal in bypass, but got this loud pop and no signal when I stomped it, and no LED lighting either. Turns out I had the circuit board ground pad connected to the DC jack and nowhere else, and this was the problem. I ran a wire from the DC jack ground lug to a ground pad on the 3PDT wiring board I used, and the problem was solved.

BRGPollen

On my testing rig with a True bypass 3pdt in between .... Yes I was.  PS I wired it up for the buffered bypass.  When I installed the jacks all I have is an ungodly ground buzzzzz.

"B"

midwayfair

BRGPollen

I will snap some as soon as I get home!
"B"

The guts of my testing rig.  Green is input Yellow is output.  Just True Bypass with an led.

My Solder on the board

Output side of the Switch

Input Side of the Switch. Blue goes to ground and red is 9v.

The Jacks, Blue and White are over sized ground leads to get back to the breadboard,