News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering Irons

Started by lbrooks, December 18, 2010, 01:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbrooks

I'm fairly new here, and I'm having issues with my soldering Iron.  I started with a very cheap iron I was given, but upgraded a step because the tip of my iron was not getting hot enough for the solder to melt. 

However, after upgrading, I'm still coming across the same problem.  I end up using the side of the iron and it is very difficult to maneuver.  I'm not sure if my problem is the type of solder I'm using or that the iron is not nice enough. 

My question is:  What solder should I use/do you use?  What type of iron do I need to invest in?  Would the $40 iron at Small Bear be adequate or do I need something stronger?  Or would my inexpensive iron work with higher quality solder?

jkokura

It sounds like you need to learn how to care for your iron too. Get some tip tinner when you get a new iron, and learn how to keep it clean and well tinned. Even good tips can degrade and melt, but if you take care of them they will last a very long time. If you don't, the life of a tip can be only a few pedals builds.

I use the Weller WP-25. It is wonderful, but not extremely high powered. I like the pencil tips, and you will need to order one if you get that iron (I think it's the ST-7)... I got mine at Smallbear when I got tired of my old orange handle weller iron.

As for Solder... 60/40 rosin core, and a .25 or .3 diameter is usually the standard.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jiffy

Yeah always make sure the tip is well tinned, if it's not the heat doesn't conduct so well. If you left the soldering iron on, without it being properly tinned they become useless and the solder will no longer stick to the tip. I just use a cheap 30W one and it's still going strong 2 years later.

juansolo

I have a cheap probably 10+ year old Antex C15 iron still on it's original tip. It's very important to keep your tip clean  ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

lbrooks

Ok, I ended up getting a loaner iron from a friend, and discovered that the one I had purchased was defective, and not getting nearly hot enough. 

I'm building the Rangemaster, and I was able to got it done, but now when I turn it on the LED comes on, but the signla is cut completely.  When Pedal is off, the signal goes through un-affected.  I assume it's because of some solder issues, as it is a nasty soldering job that I need to clean up.  But, do you guys have any quick suggestions? 

Thanks, for the help guys, this place is great. 

jkokura

Start a new thread and we will help you debug. However, if you expect it to be your soldering, you know where I'll tell you to start!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals