News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Autobahn

Started by TreeSlayer, February 06, 2013, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

do you check for solder bridges with a magnifying glass? I had this same issue and turns out there was a bridge on the wire going to one of the pots
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

Double check to make sure you didn't miss a jumper under the ic.

Also you can sometimes fry a backwards part or damage during removal.  So when you reverse and replace, doesn't work for a different reason.

I just spent 2 hours last night troubleshooting a sho'nuff v2 pcb.  Actually a very simple circuit but I had to actually ohm it out.  First an open circuit diode, and then a bad trace to the bypass mode at the on board 3pdt.

Mind you I built a cavedweller and slow loris earlier in the week with no issue..!

Good luck!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

blue_tokai

Quote from: jimilee on February 08, 2013, 05:01:49 PM
do you check for solder bridges with a magnifying glass? I had this same issue and turns out there was a bridge on the wire going to one of the pots

+1

Easy to have a solder bridge here. I've experienced similar on another build. Sometimes the bridge is so good, it looks like it actually belongs ;) (doh)
Recent builds.....
Sea Urchin, Cave Dweller, Autobahn, Little Angel, Tremulus Lune

TreeSlayer

sorry, guys! the girls took me to dinner tonight. i mean hey, wouldn't y'all go out with the soft tails instead of talkin to a bunch of hard tails? ;{D
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

TreeSlayer

Quote from: jimilee on February 08, 2013, 05:01:49 PM
yup, but i'm goin over it for the fourth time. i think now that's my problem...

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

TreeSlayer

Quote from: wgc on February 08, 2013, 05:13:15 PM

Also you can sometimes fry a backwards part or damage during removal.  So when you reverse and replace, doesn't work for a different reason.

I just spent 2 hours last night troubleshooting a sho'nuff v2 pcb.  Actually a very simple circuit but I had to actually ohm it out.  First an open circuit diode, and then a bad trace to the bypass mode at the on board 3pdt.

Mind you I built a cavedweller and slow loris earlier in the week with no issue..!

Good luck!
i've had so much trouble that the only thing i don't socket is resistors and diodes, and caps i know have a lot of space between other parts.

jimilee

Quote from: TreeSlayer on February 08, 2013, 07:14:35 PM
sorry, guys! the girls took me to dinner tonight. i mean hey, wouldn't y'all go out with the soft tails instead of talkin to a bunch of hard tails? ;{D
+1
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

reflow all your solder joints.  with all those sockets in there i could see having a dead one.
this circuit is kind of weird too.  if you're using low output pickups you really have to find the sweet spot on the sensitivity knob to get the groovies.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

Hoping to get mine boxed finally this weekend

blue_tokai

Quote from: jimilee on February 08, 2013, 07:50:43 PM

Just pulled the guts out of the box mine was in so I could paint and decal up the box. Something to do during the snow storm :P
Recent builds.....
Sea Urchin, Cave Dweller, Autobahn, Little Angel, Tremulus Lune

wgc

Quote from: TreeSlayer on February 08, 2013, 07:20:07 PM

i've had so much trouble that the only thing i don't socket is resistors and diodes, and caps i know have a lot of space between other parts.

Just want to be clear:

Try a new part if you had it backwards, the original may be trashed when powered up backwards.

Don't forget to check the jumpers
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

TreeSlayer

lookin forward to seein it!

TreeSlayer

Quote from: wgc on February 09, 2013, 05:46:50 AM
Quote from: TreeSlayer on February 08, 2013, 07:20:07 PM

Just want to be clear:

Try a new part if you had it backwards, the original may be trashed when powered up backwards.

Don't forget to check the jumpers
cap tested good. all five jumpers are in.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 08, 2013, 07:43:30 PM
reflow all your solder joints.  with all those sockets in there i could see having a dead one.
this circuit is kind of weird too.  if you're using low output pickups you really have to find the sweet spot on the sensitivity knob to get the groovies.
even though they look good, i think it's worth a shot to reflow. runnin Seymour Duncan "Duckbuster" pup at the bridge....

TreeSlayer

did you get it done last weekend?