News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flower Power preamp & Cab resized

Started by jubal81, February 07, 2013, 07:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Finished these this week. The Cab resizer is a rub-a-dub.

The Preamp is to consolidate the beginning of my chain. It's a Bloviator & Bearhug Comp on the right stomp (independently selectable) followed by a SHO on the left stomp. I've been meaning to do this for a while and it's really exceeded my expectations.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

The finish work is very "first-grader's ashtray for mom," but after a couple years I'm finally straying from the plain-aluminum-box motif.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

That design on the front of the preamp looks vaguely familiar. Was it inspired by that double compressor you sent me a link to?

Also: Love the raygun on the rub-a-dub.

jubal81

Quote from: midwayfair on February 07, 2013, 07:49:51 AM
That design on the front of the preamp looks vaguely familiar. Was it inspired by that double compressor you sent me a link to?

Also: Love the raygun on the rub-a-dub.

Wow, I actually forgot all about that thing. Maybe subliminally. I've been appreciating looking at old 70s Mutron boxes lately, so that was what I was thinking.

BTW, I've just been jamming on the 12-string and holy shite the preamp can dial in some really tight and sweet tones.
- David Fair

spaceboss

Nice work jubal!

I like the preamp layout and color scheme quite a lot. (great if your just getting started with decals) I'm also totally into stuffing as much as possible into a BB. the tall boxes are great for that.

I've completed and separately tested a naga viper clone, a zygote fuzz face, green ringer, and a cornish buffer--that I'll be stuffing into a tall BB in the next month or two.

nzCdog

Nice graphics, and its the sort of color and design that will look awesome on a pedalboard... Great build 8)

raulduke

Really like the look on both these builds dude.

Nice work!

jimilee

Great builds,that's an interesting combination to put on the front end instead of the back end
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Quote from: jimilee on February 09, 2013, 03:58:34 PM
Great builds,that's an interesting combination to put on the front end instead of the back end

It's unusual, but I've tried these circuits in all different spots over the past year and I've found I like to start my chain with the bloviator rather than have it at the end. The compressor tones it down a hair and I can use the bloviator to bring back high and low end that sometimes gets lost in a compressor.

My basic 90%-of-the-time tone now is just these two pedals.
- David Fair

thesameage

Would a bloviator and an eq in the same box be redundant?

jubal81

Redundant? Not necessarily. I think of the bloviator at a 'loud' button like you'd find on a stereo. What it does is make your sound fuller at low (home) volumes.
- David Fair

thesameage

Isn't it essentially a 2 band eq? Just trying to get to the bottom of things here.

Seems like it would be great for a bass pedal I'm building for exactly what you just said "playing at home at low volume." But could you achieve the same thing with good eqing? Or am I not understanding it. Regardless, I have a bloviator board on the way.

jubal81

The benefit of having both together is that you can dial in a basic sound with the EQ, then turn on or off the Bloviator as needed without resetting the EQ. Somewhat redundant? Maybe. But allows for convenience.
- David Fair

lincolnic

Quote from: jubal81 on February 27, 2014, 08:23:05 AM
Redundant? Not necessarily. I think of the bloviator at a 'loud' button like you'd find on a stereo. What it does is make your sound fuller at low (home) volumes.

The "loud" button is mainly just a bass boost. It compensates for the Fletcher-Munson curve - your ears are less sensitive to low frequencies at low volumes. If that's what you're using the Bloviator for, then you could likely achieve the same thing with some other extreme EQ settings.