News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Andromeda NGC224

Started by pickdropper, February 09, 2013, 07:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This is a multi-build that somebody approached me to do.  It sounded interesting so I agreed to do it.  This is the first of 2 that I am building like this (sick, I know).  The second one will be for me.

The request was for a Lunar Module + Phase 90 + MultiPlex Delay (you're getting famous Josh) + Reverb.  That order didn't really work for me graphically, so I put the reverb before the delay on the pedal and added an order reversal switch (that is the FWD/REV switch on top).

The case is the largest I've ever used: It is a Hammond 1550G.  I tried this first as a straight etch, but there were two problems:

1.)  There isn't a ton of contrast between the raw case and the matte black, which I suspected could be the case.  It was a bit of a problem by the control area.

2.)  The other problem is that I accidentally set something on my keyboard and didn't noticed it before I sent the etch to the laser.  Thus the FUZZ knob became F  UZZ.  I added an underscore but it still looked stupid.  Bummer on a $25 case.  In the end, that case is what mine will be build from, so it isn't actually on this build.  Either way, the lack of contrast was the true killer.

I decided to do a plexi panel.  I already had the panels setup like this in the artwork, and I found I liked it a LOT better as plexi panels, because it not only added contrast, it added depth to the control labels and I liked the way the panels added destinct raised sections on the box.  The panels were made by the following process:

1.)  Paint a raw piece of acrylic black.  This represents the backside of the acrylic

2.)  Laser engrave the lettering and the dial indicators backwards on the acrylic.  I did two passes for a deep etch.

3.)  Paint the back again with white paint.  I really hit it hard to make sure the lettering filled in.

4.)  Laser cut the panels to shape.

It cured fairly quickly, but I put them in an oven at 40C to cure them for a while.

There isn't much to say about the build.  It went fairly smoothly, the only hitch being that the Lunar Module squealed horribly when the fuzz and gain controls were maxed out.  I had built two so I swapped out the other board, but I need to go back and figure out what is going on with the other one.

The LEDs are all different colors, so I decided to use ultra-clears so that you can't tell what they are until they are on.  It probably didn't matter but I like it this way.

All in all, this was my most complicated build to date.  I like the way it turned out, tho.

After all that rambling, here are the photos:

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wolfingsworth

Wow, this is awesome! What size enclosure is that? It's huge!

pickdropper

Quote from: wolfingsworth on February 09, 2013, 07:30:31 AM
Wow, this is awesome! What size enclosure is that? It's huge!

It's a Hammond 1550G and it is indeed huge.

I had to order this one from Mouser because even PPP doesn't carry it.
Function f(x)

Haberdasher

holy moly, great job
remind me not to post my build reports at the same time as you anymore, lol :D
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigrigg

That is absolutely wicked!  Totally pro on every level.  Holy (insert profanity here)  I tip my hat sir.

wolfingsworth

I like how the black etched to more of a grey. How did you do those plates? They look like acrylic or something.

pickdropper

Quote from: wolfingsworth on February 09, 2013, 07:44:20 AM
I like how the black etched to more of a grey. How did you do those plates? They look like acrylic or something.

The plates are acrylic.  The build report describes in detail how I did them.
Function f(x)

pryde

My God man  :o

I hope you charge appropriately for your work. Extremely top-notch.

madbean

Mother of god that is awesome, Dave! Really, that is one of the sweetest looking builds I've seen in a long time. It's unique, the labeling method is clever and the dressing is top notch.

Kudos! You are a master! Actually, you are now an official "DIY Master Builder" which I just made up!

juansolo

:o  F**k me sideways  :o

So, so glad you're judging the Feb comp  ;)

That is quite simply one of the best builds I've ever seen.  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

I'm starting to believe Dave's guts are shopped.  ;D

icecycle66

I cannot think of a more awesome pedal, DIY or otherwise.
It reminds me of the Carl Martin multieffect board, but better.

Hangingmonkey

Wow thats amazing. Respect is due.
😯😯😯

jkokura

Rad man. Simply wonderful.

Reverb into the Delay? I would have done it the other way around. How does it sound?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

cajone5