News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bear Hug Compressor... nothing. No dry or wet signal.

Started by koky, February 12, 2013, 06:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koky

According to Mr.Bean`s rules
1) Bear Hug Compressor
2) No dry or wet signal. Only HUM . Doesn`t even bypasses may guitar signal when OFF.
3) Nothing yet as I built it a week ago left it for couple of days as it didn`t start first time (hours of trying) and tried again at Sunday - still nothing.
4) Subs: C3,C6 and C8 - used tantalum (little + mark soldered to square pad) ; D3 - D4 - BAT41 ; Q2 - BC550 (given sub according to google) ; Q3 - BF245 (same as Q2)

Will post pics when I make some.

"When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it." - Christopher McCandless

midwayfair

Sounds like it's boxed. Did you try it on a test rig before boxing it up?

We're going to need pics, but right now, hum and no signal even in bypass signals a footswitch and/or jack wiring error.

koky

Thank You Midwayfair.
It`s not boxed. I did that with switch, jacks and etc. wired according Madbean`s  SWDiagram outside. I used it with Harmonic Percolator and it is working.
Can`t make photos now. Forgot to mention it is self etched but I`ve probed all traces with my DMM. There are no bridges and no cuts.
"When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it." - Christopher McCandless

midwayfair

Quote from: koky on February 12, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
Thank You Midwayfair.
It`s not boxed. I did that with switch, jacks and etc. wired according Madbean`s  SWDiagram outside. I used it with Harmonic Percolator and it is working.
Can`t make photos now. Forgot to mention it is self etched but I`ve probed all traces with my DMM. There are no bridges and no cuts.

Did you ground BOTH sleeves of the in/out jacks?

koky

midwayfair

Quote from: koky on February 12, 2013, 07:47:00 PM
Yes.

Well, the first thing to do is fix the bypass. Once it's working in bypass, we can start working on the board.

Get out your multimeter and check that, in bypass mode, the in jack's wire is connected to the out jack's wire and nothing else. Flip the switch, and check that the board in is connected to the in jack's wire and nothing else on the switch. Do the same for the output.

Do you have an audio probe? If not, now might be the time to make one.

koky

I`ll do that ... but tomorrow. Now I`m too tired and it is 10 PM here. Thank You again. I know that it will be fixed.
By the way great songs for the FAWM contest. Wish you luck.

midwayfair

Quote from: koky on February 12, 2013, 07:59:59 PM
I`ll do that ... but tomorrow. Now I`m too tired and it is 10 PM here. Thank You again. I know that it will be fixed.
By the way great songs for the FAWM contest. Wish you luck.

Thanks! Good luck with the pedal, and have a good night's sleep. That always helps. :)

koky

Hello! Just managed to get back home from two days at work and in a hurry to post pictures of "Test Rig" and Bearhug.
"Test Rig" It`s not boxed because that is my last 3PDT switch and I have to wait 2 weeks to fill my stash.

Bearhug

Like mentioned above with this "rig" I`ve tested PepperSpray too and it`s working. Brilliant buy the way.

midwayfair

And if you plug your guitar in without the bearhug board connected to anything, do you get bypass signal? Like I said, you need to confirm that you have bypass before we can begin troubleshooting your Bearhug board if necessary. Once you have bypass, if the bearhug is not working, you'll need to use an audio probe to find out where the signal is being lost, and take voltages on Q1 and Q2.

jimilee

Clearer pictures of your wiring would be way helpful also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Quote from: jimilee on February 14, 2013, 05:28:35 PM
Clearer pictures of your wiring would be way helpful also.

And of the board. The values are unreadable in that picture. Take it out in the sunlight if you have to.

koky

I have bypass signal.
So I assume that I have to build audio probe to what is going on with this circuit. But that unfortunately will happen at Saturday. Have to be patient till then (me). I`ll also take good camera and will make pics ( stupid cell camera). Thank you for your time an advises.

midwayfair

There's a couple things you can do in the meantime. Looks like you used sockets, so that should make a few things easy.

1) What's the voltage on each pin of Q1 and Q2?

2) which way is Q2 facing? BC550 is a backwards pinout from the MPSA18.

koky

1) Q1
    Q2
2) Wrong  :-[

And still nothing. I made new Test rig following Jacob`s description without AUDIO PROBE because I don`t have DMM probe cord at hand.