News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Retrograde & the Dirtbag Deluxe

Started by MadPostman, February 13, 2013, 05:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPostman

The Dirtbag Deluxe was a monstrous build but a lot of fun. I've always loved the name of the german audio electronics company, "Echolette", so I decided to use it. They made some great tape echo machines.

I'm still getting a slight bit of distortion on the repeats. I've read all the forum material on this subject and believe I've made all the necessary adjustments. Maybe I just need to play with the gain trims a bit more.

The retrograde is definitely a "nasty wall of fuzz". The enclosure for this project turned out to be a big hassel. After screwing up the water slide decals (forgot to pre-clearcoat), sanding, and repainting, I believe I will be buying my enclosures pre-painted from now on.

"No two DIYers are alike, in general they're an upbeat and friendly group that shares a special trait: the courage to screw up."
My Website | Twitter

midwayfair

Outstanding looking Dirtbag right there. Congrats!

DutchMF

Very cool builds man! I like the yellow theme on the Retrograde! The only thing I can find on the Echolette that I don't like is the yellow switch knob (which looks great on the Retrograde!) but the rest.... Dude, it looks fantastic!!! Very cool knobs....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

Liking both of them. Very clean inside and out.  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

monkeyssj1

Nice d-bag :). try messing reducing the gain 1 trimpot (i believe?).. you'll hear it decrease the initial delay volume and it shouldn't distort as much... I found that slightly adjusting the second one also effected the rate at which delays lasted or fedback.

Bret608

The Dirtbag looks fantastic! The theme and colors are really dead-on.

Sorry to hear the Retrograde enclosure turned out to be so much work, but I think the result was worth it!  :)  Very eye-catching!

jkokura

Love that subtle yellow bottom plate on the Dirtbag. The fact that you have the coloured bat on the switch makes it even more awesome!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

MadPostman

Thanks everyone. I've been playing around with the d-bag a lot more today. I think I've got this thing figured out. It's amazing the types of sounds you can get with extreme delay/feedback settings. Very cool stuff.
"No two DIYers are alike, in general they're an upbeat and friendly group that shares a special trait: the courage to screw up."
My Website | Twitter

jimilee

Quote from: MadPostman on February 14, 2013, 08:21:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I've been playing around with the d-bag a lot more today.
You should never refer to the dirtbag as a d-bag,cause that is something different!  ;D
I'm so childish,GOSH!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DutchMF

Quote from: jkokura on February 13, 2013, 11:50:29 PM
Love that subtle yellow bottom plate on the Dirtbag.....

DOH! Didn't even see that when I first posted... I was totally obsessed with those knobs! Now the yellow switch makes sense, sorry for my earlier comment!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"