News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dig Dug (not very experienced)

Started by zaxza, May 04, 2010, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxza

Hi there, I'm quite new to this kind of stuff, i have only built effects loop pedals before. I have been incredibly interested in the Dig Dug for the past week now and have decided to give it a go. I've got everything i need but wanted to make sure i get the right capacitors as I'm not experienced with them.

I'm guessing C1, C9, C10 and C14 are Electrolytic. Are C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, C11 and C15 Polyester Film. And I'm not sure what C13 is, does it matter what type to get. I read somewhere that the polyester Film ones are used for filters so I'm guessing some of them need to be these ones.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear as I'm quite new to this however everything else on the .pdf is clear to me. I may buy the PCB as I haven't made on before.

I'm from the U.K. so some of things may be a bit different for me, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick.

madbean

Nick,

You are right on the component types. Also, C13 can be ceramic or film.

Keep in mind that this is a fairly advanced project, so if you want to attempt it, take your time. There is a lot of wiring involved and it's a pretty tight fit into a 1590BB enclosure. I'm confident you can do it, but this is not a project that you can "rush to the finish line".

Feel free to post any other questions you might have.

Brian

zaxza

Thanks for the help. Ye It's just something for me to do over the next 4 months I am thinking of trying a simpler clone first with this as my goal, just trying to get all the parts ready so i can buy in bulk. I was thinking of using a slightly bigger enclosure to make my life a bit easier. Thanks again

CRBMoA

I would HIGHLY recommend getting one or two simpler builds under your belt. If not solely for the experience gained, than at least for the confidence factor.

The first kit I built was a moderately complicated compressor. It worked. But my wiring and soldering technique improved greatly over the next year. So much so that I would up pulling the compressor apart to redo the off board wiring and the finish.

Good Luck!

zaxza

Thanks.
I will definitely try out some simple build first. I'm quite confident with my soldering skills as I did a years worth of electronics in university however i only turned up to a few theory lectures (which i regret). I basically soldered circuits from layouts and got a 77% grade for the whole year.
I do appreciate your concerns as I am not experienced with the theory.

I'm thinking of trying a booster first.
Thanks again.

madbean

Quote from: zaxza on May 05, 2010, 11:12:35 AM
I basically soldered circuits from layouts and got a 77% grade for the whole year.

That already puts you in the 99th percentile amongst boutique builders :)

zaxza

I have a question about ICs. What does the BE on the end of the code mean? Ive tried looking it up but couldn't find anything explaining it. I found a CD4017BE, the component list requires a CD4017 does this difference matter?

madbean

It means buffered input, I believe. I've used a 4017BE for mine, so you should be fine.