News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cosmo board: Screwdriver or Lunar Module?

Started by wolfingsworth, February 16, 2013, 04:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfingsworth

I etched up a board last night and am looking for some tips from somebody who has used both variations of the circuit. I heard there is info on the forum to change the cosmo into a Lunar module, can someone point me in the right direction?

juansolo

Didn't realise you could do that. Though IMO, the Screwdriver is the daddy of the two effects if you're choosing one or the other.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

wolfingsworth

I did some digging and found it: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2219.0

Quote from: juansolo on February 16, 2013, 05:00:14 PM
Didn't realise you could do that. Though IMO, the Screwdriver is the daddy of the two effects if you're choosing one or the other.
thanks for the feedback JS! I was kinda leaning that way.

Anyone else have an opinion? It seems like the biggest difference is the germanium and a variation on most of the cap values.

wolfingsworth

Dammit! This is starting to be a one sided converation... I found a thread from a couple years ago with this same question. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1884.0

Hopefully this helps anyone else who was wondering.

JakeFuzz

I think it will depend on what you are looking for. The LM is very high gain and more aggressive sounding (but not much) than the SD. Personally I use my SD a lot more but I don't consider myself a high gain player. I find the LM gets a little dull when the gain is turned down so I like to crank the brightness knob or whatever it is called when I am using it as an overdrive. I would say if you are going for an all out, high gain, boosted fuzz face sound go for the LM. If a warmer "I wish my fuzz face face would do overdrive" sort of sound is what you want, I would go with the SD. Also note that the SD will change depending on the Ge you use. I like dark sounding NPNs with gains from 60-100 for that position but lower will work as well.

juansolo

The simple answer is to etch two boards and build both :)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

wolfingsworth