Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Introduction and question

Started by billstein, February 19, 2013, 01:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Hi all,

First post here. lovin' the site.

Got a quick question. I've been wanting to build a combined pedal with a good overdrive and a booster. I was thinking of combining two tubescreamer's in one box. I like using an overdrive pedal for some crunch then kicking on another for a some more drive for lead.

Any suggestions of a good combination for doing this?

Thanks

eldanko

The sky's the limit!! Two Screamers wouldn't be bad. The FatPants circuit available here pairs up with overdrives quite well, IMHO. Screamer/OCD is one of my favorite combinations personally... so I'd check out the Egodriver board as well.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

GermanCdn

+1 for the Fatpants with anything, if you want more gain on tap than that one, go with Jacob's Wakizashi Boost.  As far as the drive goes, it really depends on your flavour, but the Green Bean, Ego Driver, or King Slayer are all great sounding boards.

Welcome to the forum.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

RobA

What kind of pickups (single coil, P90, HB, active/passive) and amp?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

billstein

Thanks for all the quick replies. I play an Old Kramer (think Van Halen) that has been modified with DiMarzio HB's in the neck and bridge and a single coil in the middle. They can all be tapped so I have a 5 position switch like a strat. I also have a Godin that has two HB's (Custom customs?). I play through a Laney VC30.

RobA

I've got a VC15 which I really like.

With HB and heavier styles I like the Tube Screamer. For single coils, I like to use the Rat with the LED mods as an overdrive and as a distortion with the stock diodes.

For the boost, it's hard to beat what a Rangemaster does to tubes. I have a build where I put the RangeMaster and the Mangler in one box running off a RoadRage to get the -9V. Using just a bit of the Fuzz Face with the Rangemaster blasted does really nice things with the amp. This isn't quite an OD/boost solution though.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

slimtriggers

I love a TS into my Serendipity!  Not exactly what you were looking for, though.  Also, the Sun King sounds great as a boost into the Serendipity.

You may also consider a comp into a TS -ala Visual Sound Route 66.

billstein

Quote from: RobA on February 19, 2013, 02:52:28 PM
For the boost, it's hard to beat what a Rangemaster does to tubes.

I've built two Rangemasters and for some reason have never been able to get a sound I really like. It's frustrating because I hear the sound samples and they sound great. My Laney is comparable to a Vox, could that be the problem? Maybe they sound better in a darker amp like a Marshall.

billstein

Quote from: slimtriggers on February 19, 2013, 04:53:51 PM
I love a TS into my Serendipity! 

What is a Serendipity? I did a search and couldn't find anything?

RobA

Quote from: billstein on February 19, 2013, 06:42:12 PM

I've built two Rangemasters and for some reason have never been able to get a sound I really like. It's frustrating because I hear the sound samples and they sound great. My Laney is comparable to a Vox, could that be the problem? Maybe they sound better in a darker amp like a Marshall.
Well, that's no fun. Could it be the transistors? They can be touchy. If it's the overall brightness that you don't like, you could play a bit with the input caps to try and get a level that you do like.

billstein

Quote from: RobA on February 19, 2013, 08:34:43 PM
Quote from: billstein on February 19, 2013, 06:42:12 PM

Well, that's no fun. Could it be the transistors? They can be touchy. If it's the overall brightness that you don't like, you could play a bit with the input caps to try and get a level that you do like.

I've built two both with mods to handle the treble. I have transistors from Small bear that were chosen for the Rangemaster. I'll have to play with it some more. I see you have a Laney and like the Rangemaster. Do you use it alone or combine it with anything else?

RobA

Mainly by itself and to push the amp past that last edge.

slimtriggers