News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dangit!

Started by gtr2, February 20, 2013, 05:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Why can't I stop buying dang commercial pedals.

I think I've bought more commercial pedals after I started building than before.

The latest is a Supa Puss on the way  ???  Why can't I resist delays... huh

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Well, at least you're buying stuff you can't build and that has resale value ... the Supa Puss is awesome, and it's not like we can whip up the digital half on a weekend afternoon.

jkokura

Yeah... I do have less commercial stuff than I used to for sure. But the ones I have and use are freaking expensive. Timeline, El Cap, RV-5, RV-3, Micro POG...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Supa Puss is awesome and you can't build it (yet) - there, justification for the purchase.

I haven't kicked the commercial bug yet either, though I am spending less on them and trying only to buy used (picked up the MXR stereo trem for $40 on the weekend), although when I finally drop the bills on the Timeline I'm sure it will dent my build fund for a while.  Which won't be anytime soon as I am just finishing the order with Carvin for a custom CS-6.

Hi, my name's Curtis, and I'm a gear-a-holic.  It's been 16 minutes since my last purchase. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pedalman

if your in the buying mood, you might as well check out TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay
this thing is bad ass
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

gtr2

Quote from: pedalman on February 20, 2013, 04:01:49 PM
if your in the buying mood, you might as well check out TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay
this thing is bad ass

Personally not a fan of T.C.'s delays, been there, done it  :D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

I just got my supa puss back from an upgrade at Dunlop and its much much better.
If you dont have rev B / version 1.2, get it done. Pedal was unusable before for me

gtr2

Hopefully it's 1.2

I'll find out today :)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

the first batch ones all had this issue where as you turn up the delay it fades out the direct sound, so you lose unity on your "clean" signal which to me was unacceptable.

New revision sounds like it shoulda done first time round, where you mix in the delayed sound with your straight signal.

juansolo

I only buy things I can't build or couldn't at the time of purchase.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

Its the 1.2 but I'm not totally sold on it.  I like TT DMM I have much better. It just sits better in the mix.

I find it a bit finiky with the gain and feedback.  If you have the gain set at all it feedbacks at barely a quarter turn.  I also don't like that it resets the note division when you power down.  So you have to change it again after each power up unless your using 1/4 notes which I never do.  But the BL3208's sound nice and the tone pot is a great feature.  Still not crazy about how it blends the dry and wet or the modulation.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

Quote from: gtr2 on February 23, 2013, 04:50:59 PM
Its the 1.2 but I'm not totally sold on it.  I like TT DMM I have much better. It just sits better in the mix.

I find it a bit finiky with the gain and feedback.  If you have the gain set at all it feedbacks at barely a quarter turn.  I also don't like that it resets the note division when you power down.  So you have to change it again after each power up unless your using 1/4 notes which I never do.  But the BL3208's sound nice and the tone pot is a great feature.  Still not crazy about how it blends the dry and wet or the modulation.

I found the 1.2 much more usable than the previous rev.

I quite like how it sits in a mix of a band but I had to tweak the tone control vastly different to where it sounded good in my bedroom.

I think the gain control is a bit of a shoddy addition by tripps et al. theres a reason its a trimmer set and forget on most analog delays that feature it...

Im yet to try the DMM TT but I bought this instead of it at the time off a local contact and he sold the DMM TT (1100ms version) and im really regretting it now :(

One big shit factor on the way huge is that the chase mode isnt musical at all (at least to me) so its a worthless feature. On the plus, its a small form factor for what it does.

gordo

+1 on the Nova.  It's about the best I've used for "edge"-type rhythmic stuff.  Crazy clean and tons of headroom.  It's one of the last of my commercial effects.  With the BPM display I can lock it to a click track.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?