News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Multiple Pedal Midi Controller

Started by monkeyssj1, February 20, 2013, 10:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyssj1

Hey you guys, I'm starting to think about what my pedalboard will look like over the next two years or so and it seems like everything is revolving around lots of potential saved settings (Eventide Pitchfactor, Strymon Timeline, 45000 looper, maybe a Strymon Mobius?). I don't know much about how it works but I assume having one main midi foot controller to switch between the pedals and to then switch between the banks of each pedal is the way to go... something like this?
http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/products?view=product&prod_id=prod41

Pretty pricey though.. I know nothing about using midi foot controllers either so i'd love to hear what people think or use for this sort of thing.

jkokura

You should check out Pedal Sync and build your own.

Seriously. You can build your own loops for the effects, plus a ground control unit for getting your presets setup.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

monkeyssj1

That's really cool to hear... i was wondering about pedal sync. I've been by the pedal sync site but it's always confused me a little as to what they different components do. I assume you're talking about the 9 switches module which would act as the loop for the effects? and then the midi program change and bank select chip as a means to switch between the saved settings? Would i be using the main master control board/device?

Sorry Jacob, still pretty confused about how this all works. I never once thought about a midi foot controller until about an hours ago.

jkokura

No worries. I had to start emailing the Molten Voltage people in order to get a good grasp on it.

Yes, you'd want a 9 loops module, and you would want to include the Relay driver chips as well in that build. I would assume with the sort of rig you're talking about, a Rack Unit would probably be the way to go. Even if you wanted to go floorboard, you're looking for a Pedaltrain Pro at least, so that's pretty big.

From there it's building the sort of floor control unit you want. The unit would both drive the loops as well as the midi control of the various effects you mention. You'd have to do some research as to how to run all of those effects.

Basically, the thing Andrew from Molten Voltage was going for was a series of componants to build a Voodoo Lab switching rig and Ground Control unit. It can include various features include tap tempo control and things like that. It's pretty rad, but it's pricey. However, it's less pricey when you begin to realize how much work it is to learn to program the units for yourself...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

monkeyssj1

So i take it it's not too insanely difficult to program the midi controllers or to learn how to do so? I've never tried programming a midi controller before..

The basic things i'd want out of it is a means for switching between saved effect on individual pedals.. at most i imagine it'd be cool to be able to active multiple pedals at once or something like that... These sorts of things are somewhat in the scope of what a midi controller may be able to do with midi compatible pedals right? given they're in their effects loop----> controller.

fish22

never heard of PedalSync.
Really cool!
Thanks for sharing that!
Hi, my name is Wyatt.