News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Neutrino

Started by Haberdasher, May 04, 2010, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

My first ever build.  I had read about a lot of first-timers who had a lot of probs- so I was bracing myself for hours and hours of troubleshooting............but it worked the first try!  Sounds good too!  8)

Alright, I know this forum is supposed to be for completed builds.  I'm just kind of excited right now.  ::)
I promise I'll come back in a day or two and post pics of the finished pedal.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

CRBMoA

Actually, that is a great post. And I like the bread boarding set up with a home made Breakout box. Very Nice work!

Haberdasher

Quote from: CRBMoA on May 05, 2010, 11:00:24 AM
Actually, that is a great post. And I like the bread boarding set up with a home made Breakout box. Very Nice work!

Thanks CRBMoa.  This stuff sure is fun.  I think I've found a new hobby to drive everyone crazy with.  ;D

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

andywragg

HI Guy's,

I'm new around here, just enrolled Yesterday after ordering a batch of boards at the weekend. Seems like a decent place so far.

I'm about to commence my build of the neutrino (burst) pedal. Have most of the bits now, just waiting for the PCB's to arrive.

I'll post my build experiences once I start.

Nice test rig mate!!

Haberdasher

Quote from: andywragg on May 06, 2010, 01:37:34 PM
HI Guy's,

I'm new around here, just enrolled Yesterday after ordering a batch of boards at the weekend. Seems like a decent place so far.

I'm about to commence my build of the neutrino (burst) pedal. Have most of the bits now, just waiting for the PCB's to arrive.

I'll post my build experiences once I start.

Nice test rig mate!!

Welcome andy.  This is the burst version as well and I finally got it put together & working late last night.  I think it sounds really fantastic and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

It's really nice for some Stevie Ray licks if that's your thing.  Turn up the 'verb and stick a compressor in front of it to boost and grind on some solo parts and it's the cat's azz.  I'm sure the neighbors are hating me right now.   ;D

Good luck m8.

Pics to follow.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

The good:

-It works!  And it sounds really great to my ears.  I recommend this pedal.

-I'm really glad I bought some unibits- which made drilling the case a breeze.
Also I'm glad I sprung for the pre-tinned wire from smallbear.  Toward the end of this project I really began to appreciate the way it holds its shape after it's bent and it is ever so much more workable than solid core wire.

-I had no issues using the as-is drilling template provided in .pdf.

-The LM1458N sounded so freaking good I never even bothered to try different op amps in there.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The bad:

-The interior was actually pretty neat before I had to rip it apart 3 times to problem solve.  One of the issues was that I had pulled up and broken a copper trace for one of the pots.  I ran a wire and solved that quickly but I now realize that over half the battle is fitting these things into their cases, lol.  I'm sure my skills will improve with more experience.

-I really wish I had remembered to use a bigger resistor for the LED.  I used the 4k7 on a water clear superbright blue and it's nearly blinding.  If I had an appropriately shaped cardboard cutout I could probably take this thing outside at night and summon Batman with it.

I just can't see ripping this thing apart again to fix that right now though.  Honestly I'm glad to be finished with it.  Maybe sometime in the future I will address that situation, and maybe come up with an idea for some graphics/labels.

I'm not particularly proud of the way the pedal looks on the interior, but it works and so I'm 100% happy.

My next project is the cupcake compressor, which I will start on today.  I must be a glutton for punishment.  ;D
cheers

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

mjcyates

Good job! I have a Neutrino currently in the works. It will be my second Neutrino. The first got sold to a friend. This one is for me. It is a nice sounding pedal.