News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bulk-ish Solder

Started by aziltz, March 03, 2013, 05:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

Hey Y'all, I need a US source for solder in packaging larger than Radioschack.  I prefer Silver Bearing 62/36/2, but if you have other suggestions, I am open to it.  Where do you get yours?

pickdropper

I would check Techni-Tool.  I bought a pound of Kester solder from there recently and the pricing was quite good.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

RobA

I've bought solder from Allied Electronics a couple of times. Every time I check around, they've got the best prices for the types of solder I need and they've got a decent selection.

They have good prices on vactrols too. So, ordering solder from them becomes an excuse to add a couple of vactrols to the order.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

TNblueshawk

I got a pound but I can't recall where. I do recall going on Amazon and putting in solder and I got a ton of hits and I went with one of those that poppped up. Maybe try that.
John

alanp

What's the shipping like for heavy stuff like solder?

From memory, a pound is something like 454g, or 450g. Something odd.

I tend to buy my solder locally... 250gram rolls of 60/40 1.0mm stuff.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

GermanCdn

I've had decent success with ebay on some 60/40, mainly due to shipping charges, but those are typically individual finds, there isn't one seller whose got good selection and good shipping prices consistently.

I bought a roll of the 60/40 from Smallbear as well, can't say I'm overly in love with it.  Doesn't do a bad job, but doesn't flow as well as others I've used either.

The absolute best solder I've ever used (and this is funny) is the house brand 1 mm 60/40 from Obi (the German equivalent of Home Depot) in Leipzig, Germany.  Next time I'm back there, I'm going to buy out all there stock.  That will make the customs documents fun on the way back.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I stopped using the 60/40 stuff awhile ago. Last too orders have been off ebay from random buyers with the best deal on pounds of kester solder. I've gotten 2 pounds for about 30-$35 shipped of .21 diameter. More recently I spent about $50-$55 on 3 pounds, one .15, one .21 and the other .30 diameter for different applications. Usually these are what look like vintage rolls of solder but you can get newer kester from CE distribution..I believe its around the same pricing per pound, $15. I urge you to try 63/37 solder if you haven't, it has a lower wetting point and quicker setting.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

I've used 63/37 but prefer 60/40 if its something I'll desolder parts off eventually.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on March 06, 2013, 08:58:40 AM
I've used 63/37 but prefer 60/40 if its something I'll desolder parts off eventually.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on that  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 06, 2013, 09:33:41 AM
Quote from: gtr2 on March 06, 2013, 08:58:40 AM

I'd like to hear your thoughts on that  :)

lol

Well I have a bad habit of stripping pcb mount pots out of old projects if I need one for something else...

Its not really how it should be done, but instead of firing up the desoldering iron I lay my soldering iron tip across two pins at once, then I quickly move over and heat the third pin and yank it out.  The 63/37 just resolidifies to fast for that trick.  I also do a similiar trick with LED's that I put in backwards  :D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer