News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Where to Buy Diode Sockets?

Started by forsbach, March 04, 2013, 01:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forsbach

Hey guys,
I'm about to start a Kingslayer. This is my first time sourcing my own parts for a build. I've got all my components picked up, but I can't seem to find sockets for the diodes and resistors. I'd like to socket a few things to experiment with the values. Any ideas on where to get the sockets?

Something like Brian did would be great. I'll post a pict of his build to show you what I mean.

stevie1556

What you're looking for is a SIL, or Single Inline Socket. They generally come in a row of 40 and you can just break them off as you need them. In shops or online, they are in the same section as the DIL sockets for chips.

I would offer to send you some, but the postage to the other side of the pond will be about 20x what the sockets are worth.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

DutchMF

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

forsbach

stevie1556

There are a few things that won't fit in them, like a BD437 transistor, and I don't think the 1N400x diodes fit in them either, although I maybe wrong about that.

pickdropper

Quote from: stevie1556 on March 04, 2013, 10:42:33 AM
There are a few things that won't fit in them, like a BD437 transistor, and I don't think the 1N400x diodes fit in them either, although I maybe wrong about that.

Yeah, you *might* be able to force a 1n400x diode in there, but the socket wouldn't be good for the standard component lead after that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

whitebread47

Quote from: pickdropper on March 05, 2013, 08:07:29 AM
Yeah, you *might* be able to force a 1n400x diode in there, but the socket wouldn't be good for the standard component lead after that.

Though I haven't tried forcing a 1n400x into a socket, they do have thicker leads than anything else.  I've had great difficulty trying to socket a zener diode in one, as the force required invariably bends the lead.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

DutchMF

Quote from: whitebread47 on March 05, 2013, 09:49:24 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 05, 2013, 08:07:29 AM

Though I haven't tried forcing a 1n400x into a socket, they do have thicker leads than anything else.  I've had great difficulty trying to socket a zener diode in one, as the force required invariably bends the lead.

Tip on this one: use a small pair of pliers and grab the lead just a little bit above socket. That way, you can shove it in a little bit at a time without bending the leads. But as pickdropper mentioned, this renders the sockets pretty much useless for anything with 'normal' leads, thus making the use of sockets quite redundant.... On another note: those fat leads from 1N400X or some Zeners are perfect for improvising board-mounted pots! I save mine in a separate baggie in my parts bin just for that.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

davent

Where i need to be able to change components topside of the pcb i've sometimes used flea clips which will take any lead size out there. Need a bigger component footprint but work well to be able to tack in the component or switch them out. Also great for attaching leads to boards. I'm sure i got mine from Small Bear but i'm having trouble finding things in the newly arranged SB website so no luck so far.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

whitebread47

Quote from: DutchMF on March 05, 2013, 10:42:16 AM
Quote from: whitebread47 on March 05, 2013, 09:49:24 AM

Tip on this one: use a small pair of pliers and grab the lead just a little bit above socket. That way, you can shove it in a little bit at a time without bending the leads. But as pickdropper mentioned, this renders the sockets pretty much useless for anything with 'normal' leads, thus making the use of sockets quite redundant.... On another note: those fat leads from 1N400X or some Zeners are perfect for improvising board-mounted pots! I save mine in a separate baggie in my parts bin just for that.....

Paul

Thanks for the tip.  I've tried this before, but my pliers kept slipping on the lead.  Probably my pliers though, cheap ones from Harbor Freight.

And +1000 on using thick diode leads for fashioning board mounted pots; I do it all the time!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell