News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mylar Caps (Greenies) at Tayda?

Started by Micpoc, March 06, 2013, 11:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

I'm getting ready to place my first order with Tayda and plan on getting some of the greenie caps they have, which I haven't used before, and I'm wondering: being all 100v caps, are the larger values (100/220/470uf, etc.) too large to fit onto MBP boards? They don't provide any dimensions that I can find.

hammerheadmusicman

i've had some from other places, but the same brand, some are massive, 47n are tall and thin if i remember right, thats probably not greatley helpful, but still..

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Micpoc

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on March 06, 2013, 11:46:17 PM
i've had some from other places, but the same brand, some are massive, 47n are tall and thin if i remember right, thats probably not greatley helpful, but still..

George

Yeah, I bought some back in the early '00s, but they ran out years ago, and I definitely got them before I knew that voltage was a better indicator of size than value... AND, I have no idea what voltages those were.

G.G.

yeah I think greenies in those large values (100, 230, 470n) would likely be a problem since most 'Bean layouts are pretty optimized to save space. I've used them before when they're all I've had on hand and had to do some creative lead bending, which led to me getting most of those big values in box form. The smaller ones should be OK but often they don't seem to quite line up with 5mm lead spacing. Not a huge deal but if your layout is tight it would be easier to just go with box caps.

Haberdasher

The lead spacing on greenies varies and the bigger values are pretty large.  I think it's possible 82n and lower could be made to fit with a little lead bending and planning.  I have used 100n before though; it kind of depeends on the layout.  The tolerances on them are generally very tight and to me they sound pretty good most of the time.

Of course if you want the consistent 5mm lead spacing and smaller size, go with the tayda box caps and that will give your build guts a neater, more organized appearance.

Here is an example to illustrate the size of larger value caps using 470n as a comparison.
Left to right, tayda MLCC, panasonic cap, epcos box cap, tayda box cap, tayda 100v greenie, and to-92 transistor to eyeball it all against.

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Micpoc

Cool pic, thanks Haberdasher. I think I may use the greenies for anything under 25nF (for cost reasons), and stick with the box caps I've been using for higher values.

muehring

I just build a mudbunny with almost all greenies that I probably got from tayda and they fit fine.  I can post a pic later if you want to see it.

jimijam

they are way too big for most mbp boards unless you do a lot of lead bending and cramming. if you ask me thats just asking for a problematic build. they are great however for fuzz pedals especialy ones with looser "vintage" layouts. and to my ears they sound better for these types of cuircuirts than some hi-fi caps that might look cooler.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

sp3k

I used all greenies for a multiplex, anything higher then 68n is to big and will make the job ugly, but they will fit... still haven't tested the board thought

GermanCdn

Up to 100n you can get away with a little bit of leg bending and still a pretty clean build, the 220n is too big to fit into a standard type build.  You might luck out with the 330 and 470, as I've ordered them a couple of times from Tayda and I've had both the big greenies and the small brownies, for a nickel each it's worth a shot.

FWIW, the greenies from Tayda measure out really close to spec in my experience.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

mysticaxe

I've used the greenies from Tayda for the last couple builds.  I plan on avoiding anything above 47n in the future.  The 100n's are fine if the cap is on the end of the board and can get bent over an open section.  The price is certainly right!

Micpoc

Quote from: muehring on March 07, 2013, 04:37:40 PM
I just build a mudbunny with almost all greenies that I probably got from tayda and they fit fine.  I can post a pic later if you want to see it.

Sure, always interested in seeing a build! What's the largest value greenie on the board?

muehring

Here is shot of the muff with greenies.  The largest is a 100n.  They're cozy, but fit fine.  The caps have a little more room on the layout than the resistors too.

atreidesheir

All of my builds have greenies, panasonic and box cap mixes.  I buy each for certain values, so the greenies are never too big.  Larger vaues are boxes and panasonic.  But they are good in almost all builds.  They have never been an issue for me.   
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman