News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Holiday PIF Fuzz and Dr. Boogie

Started by jprizz, March 09, 2013, 05:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jprizz

I was fortunate enough to be the lucky recipient of a pair of transistors as part of the holiday PIF goodness from JakeFuzz (Paul). Long story short: I stumbled into pedal building accidentally. I am not a fuzz pedal user to begin with but for whatever reason when I found out you can do DIY pedals I wanted to try and clone a Hartman GE fuzz pedal. So here is my attempt.

Paul paired up a Mullard era General Electric (the British GE not the American one) GET113 in Q1 and a goldpin HEC 2N404 in Q2 to get me to that Hartman tone. The only modifications I made was to add the pre-gain mod and socket C3 for easy tweaking. I shamelessly copied the Hartman look too. Enclosure is Hammond 1590D finished in transparent copper from PPP. This finish MUST be done on a Hammond enclosure! My knock-off enclosure in this finish can not even compare.

This is my first fuzz so I'm not sure what, if anything I need to tweak. Time and playing will tell. A big THANK YOU goes out to Paul for his holiday spirit!

-Josh

jprizz

jprizz

Dr. Boogie: straight forward here. Friend made the white vinyl sticker for me. Sounds mean.

jprizz

fish22

sweet!

I LOVE the Dr. Boogie. The decal and matte black look great IMO!
I really need to build one of those.
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

wolfingsworth

Top notch! The wiring in the fuzz is outstanding!

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Excellent work.

Hartman's Ge fuzz is what led me to want a Fuzz Face on my board. My local guitar center had one for $90. I went home to think about it overnight and it was gone the next day. :(

jkokura

I got a red dot NTK275 Hartman Fuzz...

So awesome.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

zapme

JakeFuzz

Yes! I am glad to see these in a build! There are few better transistors for Q1 than that GET113, it is really smooth and dark. One tweak I have been playing around with is to vary the value of the 470R resistor; I think Mike Fuller did it with his 70's fuzz and called it mids. It adds a sort of weird boominess and midrange of course but it makes it sound fatter. Excellent wiring!

jprizz

Hey Paul, I just hope I can do your transistors justice! How much are you varying from the 470R?

QuoteExcellent wiring!
Thanks! I feel like it looks too cluttered up with the extra wiring from the RoadRage, at least not as simple as a FF should look.

ch1naski

Did you build it from the schematic, or is there a layout floating around...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

JakeFuzz

I usually use a 47R lower limiter and a 1K trimmer. I think it is a 1K in the 70's too but I don't really remember.

tiagojoy