News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point Super Deluxe: A delay for the Wasteland...

Started by neiloler, March 10, 2013, 08:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neiloler

Hey guys. Just (finally) finished my pedal. The etch turned out so much cooler than I anticipated, and I'm going to make more, this is just awesome. :)

I am finding this delay isn't one that I think I'd put tap tempo on. I think I will still play around with it and see if I can't, just because I'm a nerdy engineer guy and want to always stuff more stuff inside boxes, but this is a great example of ambient, moody delay.

I should sit down and do a "features runthrough" kind of video, but this was just some fun little jam I stumbled upon while playing around with the pedal and the looper.

I am finding the "shimmer" setting to be strange in that it only seems to want to repeat a single time regardless of the feedback settings. I'm going to build a few more and compare? Anyone else?

Enjoy!

OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

Hangingmonkey

A very laid back jam.  Like it.
I didnt notice a problem with the shimmer settings but with deep, i get 1 or 2 repeats and then it fizzles out abruptly, not sure if thats normal or not.  Ive socketed some of the resisters as recommended so i was going to play about with the values and see if it makes any difference.

I like your pedal board. What did you use?

neiloler

Thanks! It's just some OSB that I had laying around from a home improvement project. I put some polyurethane on it, mounted some handles from the drawer section and used some none-slip rubber feet on the bottom, then put strips of Velcro on it. Nothing fancy, but I think it looks nice and is great for the times I don't want to deal with my PRPro. I think this summer I'll make a slightly larger one. ...or buy a PT Jr.

jimilee

Man I want to learn to etch enclosed, that's so awesome
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

That's a great lookin etch man! I can't wait to build mine...

ChrisM

Looks great! Can't wait for these PCBs to get back in stock.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pryde

Very nice build and demo!

Would love to do some etching like that. any details you could share?

midwayfair

Pretty sure I've never seen a backwards etch like that. Excellent job. Looks great inside, too.

soldersqueeze

Ohhh, I like it! Very tidy innards, and that's a really great looking etch.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more of these on the forum yet, seeing as they sold out within a couple of days of launch. Though for my part in that I have two unpopulated boards sitting here :) This demo has made me bump this up the to-do list though, it sounds lush. Thanks for taking the time to record it, if you make another more in depth one please post it here.

jprizz

pickdropper

That looks really cool.

Part of me wants to investigate etching enclosures like this.  I haven't made the leap yet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

Super etch and demo!

Regarding the Shimmer: sounds like you have a component shorting to ground. If you are only getting one repeat it makes sense that the signal is getting killed off...you can still get a repeat by having the Path set to skip the filtering. Fortunately, the Shimmer is only four components so it should not be hard to track down.

hoodoo

Great build mate, tidy guts, very cool exterior, sweet!

neiloler

Thanks everyone!

I'll have to look tomorrow, all the pots have "pot condoms" on right now, except for the rate knob, so I don't think there's any shorting from them, but I'll take a look more tomorrow.

The etch was a total accident. :) I meant to do a nice, simple etch like I've seen many times before. I block sanded the box with 360 up to about 2000 in grits. I then ironed on my blue press and peel mask.

I then taped off the sides and bottom, and dunked the box face down.

There was a pretty serious reaction that ramped up pretty quickly, definitely exothermic. It was rather scary, it was bubbling and the box was getting too hot to touch, and the etchant was steaming...

I pulled it out after...5 minutes? 10 minutes? Maybe 4 minutes. I didn't look too precisely at the clock. I pulled it out and found that the mask had been melted or came off in the violence of the reaction, but when I used 0000 steel wool on it, it seemed to have removed the mask edges first, working its way inward as it etched down, so the lettering has a very angular bevel to it. Amazingly cool in person.

I'm not sure why the etchant reacted the way it did, but I added a bit of water a while back when I found it was crystallizing a bit, and adding water seemed to bring back its potency. It also has been used to etch a few copper circuit boards. I'm wondering if the "trick" was watered, slightly "coppery" etchant being in contact with freshly exposed aluminum. I'm going to consult with my chemical engineer brother, and I'll be trying to repeat the results. I'll report back (and put in a few more board orders!)